Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A strange "Sound" phenomenon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transworld

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
SG
Hi Guys,

Yesterday i encountered a strange problem. All my music players like Win media player 9 and Creative Play Center all were being muted. I had reinstalled them but unfruitful. Check out the control panel in Sound folder, all the audio settings were too being disabled. Now i only get to hear error beeps from my pc internal spk. Anyone ever encountered this? Thank you very much. : )

Does sound work OK when you "un-mute" them? I have this about once a month: I will boot up, and no sound (the audio master is muted). I set it back on and everything's OK. Been this way through XP - SP1 (WMP 7 - 9). No problems yet with SP2 and WMP 10.

Hi Micker, thanks for the reply. The problem is when i enter the "Sounds & Audio device properties" in the control panel, under the Volume folder, "No sound device". The rest of the folders that is related to sound all had been grey out, totally no access. But i check my audio drivers in the system, all are working fine. Now i started to wonder is it my sound had been dead. Strange is even my Media player 9 also can't use to play my mp3 tracks. It comes out error in running the file. [sadeyes]

No sound device" is just what it says. Have you done ANY updates lately? The "updated" audio drivers that MicroShaft sends out kills my audio (that's why I am so "familiar" with sound problems!). I just re-install the drivers from the original install disk and A-OK. Un-install all the sound drivers (you may have to go into "safe" mode/device manager to get them all), and install the original drivers that worked.

maybe a hardware problem, reinstall the driver of your sound card.
I recently heard of that , after updating windows to fix the protection for blast virus, some sound card would not work . have u updated your windows recently?

I've found that MS updates for my old creative card kill my settings. I never use them now and never have had a problem since. Funnily enough, the Nvidia ones for my Video card are also pants!

Sttu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Thanks guys for all the feedbacks. Yes, i normally do MS security updates but yet to do any SP 1 & 2 updates. I had tested my soundcard on another win 98 pc, it does produce sound. Probably i'm using win XP, but i had downloaded the latest driver i can find in Creative website. Strange is when i uninstalled the sound drivers, my XP detected new hardware and started to load basic drivers for the card. But when i go into the Sound & Device properties, i still see the "No Audio Device". I will try shifting the card to another PCI slot to confirm. I will update you guys the outcoming. [wink]

Hi guys, i had reinstalled the entire win xp. Due to the instability of the Sound Blaster 5.1 DE drivers, i took thi s chance to upgrade to Audigy 2 ZS. After installing the new card drivers followed by the diagnostic test on the soundcard software, everything had work smoothly. Now i'm enjoying the new sound. Thanks for all your contributions. Deeply appreciated! [peace]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back