Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A strange issue with DHCP in Win2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

siqbal75

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2005
US
Hello,

I am coming accross this issue in our PDC where I go in Administrative tools--->DHCP and under the Scope-->Address leases, I see all the desktops/workstations with the IP addresses they connected to. In normal cases, I should see 1 machine, 1 IP, but this is not the case here. Now, the problem I am facing now is that DHCP somehow is creating multiple machines names and assiging those machines IP address. This casues DHCP to eventually run out of IP address. Every day in the morning, I have to do this exercise manually where I go in DHCP and manually delete those mutiple IPs it creates.

let me give an example. In DHCP, I see atleaset 9-10 IPs created as abc.domain.com(In my case,lets say abc.domain.com is the main PDC for our network). So 8-10 IPs gets assigned to this abc.domain.com and this happens to couple of other machines as well on the work. It is really annoying for me to everytime I have to go out and manually delete those dummy addresses in creates and then IPs become available again and people who are not able to connect, can connect after this.

Thanks for your help.

Do you have any remote users connecting via RAS that are pulling the IP's through that server?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

First, I would change the Domain Controller to use a static IP.

If you do an IPCONFIG/ALL on the problem server, what results do you get? Is it possible there is another device (firewall, router)giving out IP ADdresses also?

Dave,

We do have users connecting to our PDC via VPN tunnel, not RAS. It (PDC) has been working fine for a while now, it just now this issue has started to come.

Pgaliardo,

Yes, our DCHP server do have a static IP assigned to it. We never had this problem until now. Nothing has changed in our network infrastructure.

Any other ideas?

If there coming across the VPN, where are they being assigned IP addresses?

My bet is you're seeing their IP's being assigned, as they'll need an IP from your subnet to work even across the VPN.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

Dave,

Yes, all the VPN clients have their own set of IP addresses which is assinged from a different subnet, and therefore, doesn't apply in this case. For example for office DHCP address, we have a range of 192.168.10.1-192.168.10.79 and for vpn clients, we have 192.168.20.1-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back