Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A somewhat related post... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

apex1x

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
US
Hey there,

I thought this was a good forum for this sort of post, well...

A question that I was hoping to get some advise on was, I am interested in career possibilities where I could combine my russian and some sector of IT.
Where is the demand and what sort of education/training would be involved?

Any advise/experience would be helpful.

CajunCenturion,

You might be right with the quote. I googled with the phrase's keywords in Russian, since I learned it first in Russian, in order to find the complete quote and the author.
I got thousands of hits, thousands of [simplified] citations of the phrase used for every occassion possible, but not the author! Different places credited it to "ancient saying", "English proverb", "folklor", "someone of the great", but I couldn't find any reference to an actual author!
At the same time, I searched for Emerson, also in Russian, and found many interesting articles and famous quotations, but not the one in question. So maybe I never actually knew the author? Well, I cannot say at this point.

And I learned something new today, for which I have to thank you. Here:
star.gif

Stella

That is interesting that neither search associated the quote with the man. It is quite possible that the thought behind Emerson's quote did come from an ancient saying or folklore. We may never know.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

CajunCenturion,

That is interesting that neither search associated the quote with the man. As a matter of fact, the second one did. No luck. Same keywords, but many different quotes. I guess, the keywords are too general. Un-associated search came in third. The results were not that much different from the second one.

It is quite possible that the thought behind Emerson's quote did come from an ancient saying or folklore.
Very likely. Who knows?

CajunCenturion,

What's more, I can recall having first heard this phrase from my now deceased mother. She had been a teacher with a degree in philology/liguistics. She might had known/mentioned the author, or might had not, but it's impossible to find out now. Well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back