Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A replacement for SK98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoltan627

MIS
Nov 21, 2004
US
A post somewhere on here mentioned a PIM named DeskTop Set. Anyone have any experience or opinion on it? As much as I hate to do it, I might have to replace SK98 because of its date bug.

Thanks,

John

Zoltan627

I downloaded the trial version and discovered that it has major problems with WinXP. Note the following from their webpage...

Operating system and hardware requirements
Q. What versions of Windows will DeskTop Set work with?

Windows 3.1x, Windows 95, NT 3.5x, and NT 4.0.

Some of their instructions refer to Win 3.1

Beware

OTOH I was able to import contact files into Outlook97 (planning on getting the MS2003 version) using the tab delimited format (made sure to put " " around the title of each field exported from sidekick. It did the transport almost perfectly of over 200 addresses in one of my SK files. I realize that I will have to reconstruct the SK calendar. It doesn't export.

The printing feature even in Outlook 97 does about the same as SK (except for allowing import of graphics to customize your envelopes). MS2003 may offer that extra. In any case my home office is acquiring the suite for me - so no $ involved for this experiment.

I hope to use SK98 as long as possible.

WDane

Thanks for the info, I have a Win XP machine that I use for testing; I will install DeskTop Set on there and see what I can find. I will post a message if I find out anything new.

Have you tried Sidekick 99. It fixed the problems I was having with the older versions of Sidekick.

What date problem are you having with SK98? I don't have any problems.

Gary Britt

There are two issues with SK 98, the first is the date bug mentioned in the FAQ's. After December 31, 2005 the dates in the "To Do" list will not work (they revert back to the 1980's). The other problem I am having is a conflict with another application. After the second app was installed, when I start Sidekick, I get an "The application failed to initalize. (0xc0000005)" error and SK 98 doesn't start. I am guessing that some dll has been changed and Sidekick deos not like it. I looked all over for a solution to the error, but I have come up with nothing.

Haven't noticed the to do date bug before, but it exists in sk98 and skwin 2.0, so its been around quite a while. If you uninstall the app that started the problems does SK98 start working again? Have you tried reinstalling sk98 on top of its current installation to see if the problem gets fixed?

Gary Britt

I tried uninstalling SK 98 and reinstalling it, that did not correct the problem. I am reinstalling the OS on the machine and when it comes to installing the apps, I will install SK 98 after the one causing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back