Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A rather odd Outlook issue. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommonOddity

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2009
CA
Not sure if anyone else has come across this. I tried searching the forums, and googled around a fair bit to no avail.

My situation: I currently am employed at a relatively large company (130 or so people) as an IT guy (co-op term). We use Microsoft Exchange 2003, and people use Outlook 2007 for the most part, but a few do use 2003.

The issue: The company uses group policies, credentials and all that fun stuff on a domain for the sake of (somewhat) easy manipulation and remote configuration changes. This includes Outlook, usernames, passwords, etc the whole nine yards.

Most of the company laptops are dell, with docking stations at the cubicles (Latitude D-series, ranging from 600's to 630's primarily). Whenever a user undocks their computer and switches between a hardwired internet connection and their wifi - while Outlook is open and connected - Outlook tries to reconnect and asks for the username and password.

Even once it has been entered, it does not connect, and remains disconnected. Whence reconnected onto a docking station or with an RJ-45 the issue remains the same and remains that way for about 15-20 minutes.

I've been trying to look this up but I haven't come across an issue like this. Being a telecommunications student I've attempted to try and understand this from both the Application layer and the Transport layer... Mayhaps the user account 'ghosts' much like IRC ping timeouts would do to folks connected to the server. I first thought this may have been an issue.

Then I thought that the issue was with TCP and that the pseudo-synchronization with Exchange dropped, and wasn't able to re-establish another session.

If anyone could shed some light on this or even point me in the right direction, it would be most greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Ahhh... Now the issue and plot thickens.

Per the hosts file suggestion:

Here's the problem. Users also http their way into Outlook from home. If I do assign the Global static IP address assigned by the ISP, and toss up an FQDN I would have to wait for the user to go home, try it, come back and then tell me if something is wrong :(

The second issue is that if I assign this global IP, the user will be plowing through 6-20 hops for all I know, just to connect to the exchange server since (And I could be wrong, PLEASE correct me if I am) the hosts entry would overrule using the local network IP.

Arg. Bloody stumped. Supervisor suggested re-installing everything (Windows included). I'm hoping this might fix things, even though it's probably wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back