Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A quick way to add 500 new addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazcurtis

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
GB
Hi,

We are changing our email address on Monday. Does anyone know a way of adding 500 new email address to Exchange 5.5sp4 accounts without retyping them and making them the return address.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Michael Curtis

I only know how to do this in Exchange 5.5.

Click on the configuration container and then in the right pane double click Site Addressing.

If you make any changes to the email addresses when you exit you are prompted if you want these changes to be made to all recipients in the site.

Hope this helps

John Harkcom :)I

The fastest way to change directory info on mass is to export the directory to a .CSV file, edit the details using Excel, and then import the .CSV back into the directory file. This has the benefit of utilising Excels very handy methods of manipulating data, and if the if you take, and keep safe, a copy of the export data, you can always import that back onto the system if anything goes wrong.

following on from fishbulb said (agree with him/her wholeheartedly) you may find some handy extras in the header.exe utility. I think its in the resource kit.

That worked great. Thank you very much. One thing though. How do you make them default return addresses?

You should have listened to jwharks.

Now all new people will have wrong domain until you change that.

Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Dan, no, it did work fine and I did change the site address, but it would replace the old addresses if i had done it that way and I needed to keep those. I just wanted the new ones to be the reply address.

I have done it manually now, but I was just wondering for next time.

The easiest way I have found is this.

Export users to csv.
Open CSV and ad field E-mail Addresses
Clear out all rows except top and then export to the same file.
Use Access to take alias and append @domain2.com
Now add that to all users.

Basically you have to make the e-mail addresses in Access and append to value already there.

Syntax is = A1 & "@domain2.com"

Not fun at all :)

In E2K you can just add a second SMTP to the Recipient Policy and the RUS stamps the users. Done in 2 minutes. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back