Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A quick look at Delphi future 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretchwickster

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
GB
"Borland will soon present a software development RAD suite that will compete with Microsoft's Visual Studio .NET. Code-named Galileo, the new suite will ship early next year (2003) and will offer Delphi developers a new version of Delphi and other for the moment unannounced programming languages. Programming languages that may be supported within the environment, include C# and Visual Basic.NET. Java will not be supported.

Galileo is supposed to be an alternative to developers wanting to build .NET applications but prefer using tools and technologies from vendors other than Microsoft. you could ask why? The answer is simple. With its own .Net tool, Borland will target customers who don't want to get trapped in an all-Microsoft environment."

An extract from "A quick look at Delphi future" by Zarko Gajic (delphi.about.com - Delph Programming Guide)

For the full article see:
Clive [infinity]

Do we need to go the .NET route? I would rather not, and my motto is $tuff Micro$oft! At least with the Delphi/Kylix combination I try to move away from pure M$ development. Cheers,
Nico

I am not loosing very much sleep over this net hype. Are the people willing to change/upgrading operating system every month? Or move to other programming languages just because it is new? I do not think so. At least the power programmers I know stick with M$ visual C++ 6.0
Think about the investments people made to reach at a certain level. At least the core C, C++, fortran and pascal disciplines are still taught in the Universities. The visual stuff is nice but I have not seen a course of advanced calcullus with VB or delphi like pre-requisition. Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

If i need cross-platform i will use jbuilder.If i need to develop native program i will use delphi/kylix !

then i will not use .net because i donot want to lose freedom ! ipo_z@cmmail.com
garbage in,garbage out

Don't forget that PC manufactures will start bundleing 'Whatever is the Latest version of MS windows' with new PC's if this happens to be a '.net apps only' version of Windows (this is what they are aiming for I belive). Then lots of us will be stuffed at some point in the future..

Particularly with the ever increasing cost of new versions of Delphi these days.
Personally I cant afford to upgrade my D4 if I want to have a Distribution licenced copy of Delphi.
:-(
Steve

We had some Borland Reps here not too long ago, and their claim was that the .Net in delphi would work just like Kylix does. There would not be code change required, except in places where there is direct interaction with the WinApi. The reps said that we would be able to write the code, and then compile it for .Net, Linux, or Windows. If MS does implement the .Net platform on handheld devices, that would be a bonus for us.

Is this mean that we can code a .NET apps with Delphi language? Then it is worth looking.

If it is only another IDE for C# or VB.NET then why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back