Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Question So Easy It's Sad......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kampher

Technical User
Apr 21, 2001
US
Ok, I've only been using Dreamweaver 4 for 8 days, and I was a coder in a former life for only 2 months....years ago.

I get the basic gist of the program but I am lost on how to create a Mouseover effect that links to a seperate table on the same page...:-( How do I make the second table the target? You can't name tables can you? the effect i'm going for is this:

But I don't want to use layers since I don't want older browsers to choke when they visit my site. frames are completely off my list...

Also, it appears that the marriage between IE and DW is a pretty good one for most users on here...not im my case of course,..everything looks fine and acts appropriate in Netscape 4.7 but when I test it in IE all I get are broken link Red Crosses...for the love of God %-(....

I'm on a Mac OS if that has anything to do with (yup, I'm a Machy...don't hate me...)

Any help is greatly appreciated and I will count you as a friend for life. :-D

kampher

I do not know the answer, but once you find out, please let me know.

Well first I have some bad news for you - the site you have given as the example *has* used layers to achieve this effect - he has used the show/hide layers in Dreamweaver to achieve this effect.

If you don't want to do this, then the easiest way I can think of at present to achieve the same effect might be to created disjointed rollovers in Fireworks. It would mean presenting text as a graphic, but as long as there isn't too much of it and you're careful about compression this shouldn't be a problem. I don't know how familiar you are with Fireworks, but I can seriously recommend it to you.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the broken links... more explanation on what you are trying to achieve please...

Finally, I can't really imagine that using a Mac is making that much difference. Assuming you are using D/W for Mac, one would just hope Macromedia have only bundled Mac-compatible features with the product!

Hope something here proves useful to you.

Stuart

It's really easy to make a disjointed rollovers in Dreamweaver. Just take the tutorial... Help->Tutorials->3. Creating a disjointed rollover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back