Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a question about installing a motherboard + cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaran

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
GB
Is it essential that you have washers underneath the motherboard where the screws go? I heard it can burn out components. Also my cpu (athalon xp 1600) came with just a fan, do i need a heatsync?

you need plenty of heat dissipation for an AMD CPU. Study the articles/advice from AMD and Tomshardware.com, athlon.com etc. Make sure the PSU and heat sinks are those recommended by AMD.

The type of mounts can vary, usually either brass posts or spung metal clips.
These "stand off posts" hold the motherboard clear of the mounting plate.
Before you fit any of the posts in the case study the motherboard closely, you will see between 6 and 8 (usually)
mounting holes that have a bare solder ring on the upside.
The mounting posts must only be fitted to align with this type of hole (it is very important you use only these points to mount the board) as these points are dedicated earthing points and are meant to touch the case. BUT NO OTHER PARTS OF THE MOTHERBOARD ARE TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE CASE.
The motherboard is then screwed onto these posts (NO FIBRE WASHERS ARE REQUIRED)the screws make direct contact with the board, and the brass posts directly to the underside of the earthing mounting point holes.
You most definately do need a dedicated heatsink and fan to mount ontop of your XP1600+ processor (do not under any circumstances turn on the PC with this being properly fitted) use an AMD recommended heatsink/fan unit or seek guidence from your supplier.
Better still, take him the motherboard and allow him to fit the heatsink to the processor, it is very easy when you know how but in the hands of a novice the CPU can be easily chipped.
Recess on the underside of the heatsink goes over the Socket A writing on the processor socket.
Don't forget to peal off the protective tape on the heat transfer pad. (or apply heat transfer paste in the absence of a pad) Martin
Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Just one last thing!
An AMD XP1600+ creates alot of heat and the fitting of extra 80mm case fans is recommended to ensure a good turn over of cool air in the case.
These fans are cheap £5/$7 each, you should have one in the front sucking cool air into the case and one top rear exhausting the warm air out (standard cases usually have the mounting points already in place for the fitment of these extra fans)
My XP1700+ idles at 45C with absolute max of 51C, just to give you some idea what is normal, ( this can be checked with a piece of software that normally shipped with the motherboard drivers) called a hardware monitor. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

I put my computer together without putting a heatsync on. There is just a fan monted on top of the cpu. After about 5 hours of being on the cpu was a steady 47C.
How much do heatsyncs cost?

In view of what you've told us so far, I'd be surprised if you don't already have a heatsink attached to your CPU. Normally the CPU fan is bolted to a heatsink, and then the heatsink is clipped onto lugs which surround the CPU socket on the motherboard. The heatsink is usually either a cube of copper or aluminium, machined into a shape to provide cooling fins through which the fan blows air.

Ensure that there is a smear of heatsink compound or silicon grease, etc., between the bottom of the heatsink and the mating surface of the CPU. This will aid the transfer of heat from the CPU to the heatsink/fan assembly.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

with that processor, if you didn't have a heatsync and you turned it on I'd give about 5 seconds before the processor would turn black. The shop that I deal with forgot the heatsync and the processor was blacker than the toast I had for breakfast before he could turn kill the power. (about 6 second of power on the processor)

Sorry i didnt realise that i had a heatsync because it was only a bit bigger than the fan that was ontop of it. In my old computer it was much bigger.

Paper washers are sometimes used to help insulate the motherboard, and to keep it from shorting out. Normally you can get away without using them, but sometimes a board can short out if it has some imperfect near the location where the board is screwed onto the riser or stud that is screwed into the back plate of the computer case. Sometimes clips that fit into the back plate of the computer case. They have a larger flat surface that comes into contact with the motherboard, that could short out.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Yes! as the others have said you obviously do have a heatsink and fan, as the processor would have lasted for exactly 5 seconds without it! BIG SIGH OF RELIEF!!
If 47C is your idle temperature (the computer not doing much) then you can expect this to rise 5-10 degrees C under sustained load, whilst this isn't dangerously high you should probably think about those case fans I talked about to bring it down in the low 50's MAX. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Paprazi, this question has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand, but I have been going through many of the posts in this forum, and always, you quote prices in the pound sterling. Now, I understand that you are in England, or Britain if you prefer, my question is this: about what does the pound translate into in dollars these days? I only ask because I seem to remember it being about $2 or so, and if so, you guys really get hammered on pricing!!!Sorry for the stupid question, but I had to ask.
[glasses]

To Pattons,
TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!!
Us Brits get hammered big time! I am constantly amazed at the low prices you pay in the States.
I think exchange is about 1.7 Dollars to the UK pound.
And I am buying trade from the cheapest guy in my area, and he is undercutting many UK mail order firms so I know that he see's me right with prices. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back