Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a problem on matching with function index()

Status
Not open for further replies.

will27

Technical User
Jun 13, 2007
US

Hey, all

I have been struggling with problem for quite a while, any hints of librating me from the fight will be highly appreciated.

first there is a file "pool", the first col is something with will be matched by some key

WorldComInc WorldCom, Inc.

second there is file "key_trace", the first three cols are keys to do the match.

WORLDCOMINCGA WORLDCOMINC WORLDCOM 11088 80 20000831 WCOM WORLDCOM INC GA NEW 98157D10
WORLDCOMINCGA WORLDCOMINC WORLDCOM 11042 61 19980831 WCOM WORLDCOM INC GA 98157D10

Here is the idea,
frist use "WORLDCOMINCGA" to match "WorldComInc", if matched; done
if not matched(this is the case in this example), then use "WORLDCOMINC" to match "WorldComInc", if matched; done
if not matched, finally use use "WORLDCOM" to match "WorldComInc". if matched, done;
if all three matching attempt failed, then print file"pool" and space filler for "key_trace"

This is the problematic code (NOTE: it is de facto a one-liner expanded for easy reading)

Code:
awk -F "\t" 'FILENAME == ARGV[1] 
{ keys[$1,$2,$3] = $0; next } 

{ 
	for (key in keys) { 

split(key,con,"\034");

if ( index( toupper($1),toupper(con[1]) ) ) {print $0,"\t",keys[key]; x++}   };

if(x==0) 
	{if (index( toupper($1),toupper(con[2]) ) ) {print $0,"\t",keys[key]; y++}  };

if(x==0&&y==0)
	{if (index( toupper($1),toupper(con[3]) ) ) {print $0,"\t",keys[key]; z++}  };

if(x==0&&y==0&&z==0) 
	{printf"%s",$0; for (i=1;i<=10;i++) {printf"%s",(i<10?"\t":"\n")} };	# 10=NF(file key_trace) +1

x=0;y=0;z=0;

}' key_trace  pool > match_companyheader_man

expected result is:(two lines, first three lines are actually one line, so is the last three)

WorldComInc WorldCom, Inc. WORLDCOMINCGA WORLDCOMINC WORLDCOM 11088 80 20000831 WCOM WORLDCOM INC GA NEW 98157D10

WorldComInc WorldCom, Inc. WORLDCOMINCGA WORLDCOMINC WORLDCOM 11042 61 19980831 WCOM WORLDCOM INC GA 98157D10

problem:

1. only one line printed:
WorldComInc WorldCom, Inc. WORLDCOMINCGA WORLDCOMINC WORLDCOM 11042 61 19980831 WCOM WORLDCOM INC GA 98157D10

2. if file "key_trace" very large, second and third key seems never used, in other words, the second and third "if" seems
never executed.

please let me know why the code above does not do what I intend to do.

thank you in advance

will

Please ignore the first question.

still I would like to know what might be the possbile reason that the second and third "if" can not be executed while the first match (first if ) evidently doesn't hold.

The first if statement is inside the for loop. The second and third if statements are not, maybe that is the problem? Check the positions of your braces.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back