Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A porch, with a screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiph

Programmer
Jun 9, 1999
US
I'm in the process of finding someone to rent my house while I'm working elsewhere, and the realtor from the rental agency insisted that a screened-in porch was spelled "screen-in porch". Or sometimes "screen porch"

Anyone see other variations on this?

Wouldn't "Veranda" be a more upscale Southern word for it? Or is that missing the screened-in-ness aspect?

[bigsmile]

When I was a kid, my dad would refer to the deck, the side porch and the front porch as the the west portico, south lanai and the east veranda, respectively.

My dad is awesome.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

I knew a Veranda back in high school, but I don't recall how upscale she was. [smile]

BTW - I meant "evoke" memories above, not "invoke." I even knew it didn't sound right when I used it, dangit.

I'm having a bad brain day.

John - originalhiggins sounds like a fun dad.

GS

[small][navy]**********************^*********************
I always know where people are going to sit. I'm chairvoyant.[/navy][/small]

Its Verandah in Australia,maybe even with a small v, but mostly not screened in.

All windows have security screen, well here in QLD, which are about as secure as an ulocked open door. Security here obviously means keeping the bugs out. WHich I assume is the substance of said screened.

I understand screened in porch, but a screend porch doesn't really convey it that well to an outsider like myself.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back