Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A patch cable or crossover cable? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

myers

MIS
Mar 11, 2003
US
I am currently studying Cisco routers. And I understand in order to connect a PC to a cisco router you need a patch cable to the console port. I have a Linksys router in my home and would like to connect that port to my PC rj-45 port. Should I use a patch or crossover cable? How about connecting a PC to a cisco 1901 switch?

the linksys router I use most has a switch next to the LAN port so tant either cable will work. one setting is X for crossed over, one is II for straight through, so one way or the other you are covered

a picture of the back of the unit is on this page down a bit I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Just to clarify something, the "Console" port on a Cisco router is where you connect to with a computer running a terminal emulation program (eg Hyperterm) and configure the router or switch. For this you need a ROLLOVER cable (supplied with the Cisco router; the flat blue or black one) which is different to a CROSSOVER cable.

myers,

The console port is generally a serial connection used for directly connecting to the router for configuration. Depending on the model of the router, it may look like an RJ45 connector but it is not. It uses a special cable that connects to the serial port on your computer.

You can connect to the router's console port with the special cable but your functionality is limited to basic telnet/hyperterminal activity for configuration. You can connect to one of its ethernet ports using a straight-through patch cable (some models also have a switch that will allow a cross-over cable to be used) and use that connection to access the network/internet, etc. You will also be able to telnet over the network to the router for configuration.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

When connecting the ethernet port on a PC or laptop to the ethernet port on a Cisco router you must use a cross over cable. Router to switch is straight through.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Ethernet ports on a switch or a router are classed as Data Comm Equipment (DCE). NIC's and other connections on computers are classed as Data Terminal Equipment (DTE). Connection of dissimilar types (DCE -> DTE) use a straight-through cable since the transmit and receive pairs are already swapped in the ports. Connection of similar types (DTE -> DTE, DCE -> DCE) require a cross-over cable since the receive and transmit pairs are the same.

[ul][li]Computer -> router or switch uses a straight-through cable[/li]
[li]Computer -> Computer uses a cross-over cable.[/li]
[li]Router or switch -> router or switch uses cross-over unless an uplink port is used. [The uplink already crosses the pairs.][/li][/ul]

The Old Man

I'm sitting here at my PC writing this and it's most definitely patched into my 1720 router with a cross over cable. I install routers every week and always patch my laptop into them with a cross over to test connectivity. This may be different on a Linksys router but I install Cisco routers and they are cross over to PC/laptop and straight through to switch/hub.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Thanks, iproute. I stand corrected. A router's ethernet ports are classed as DTE. So the items should have read:
[ul][li]Computer -> hub or switch uses a straight-through cable[/li]
[li]Computer -> router ethernet uses cross-over[/li]
[li]Router ethernet -> hub or switch uses straight-through[/li]
[li]Computer -> Computer uses a cross-over cable.[/li]
[li]hub or switch -> hub or switch uses cross-over unless an uplink port is used. [The uplink already crosses the pairs.][/li][/ul]
My 2514 has AUI ports and I use a transceiver/10bT adapter. It's connected to a 2900XL with a straight-through. I don't install routers much but generally use the console port or telnet over the network to check them out and configure.

Thanks again for the catch.
The Old Man

Im using a 2501 router and I don't see any ethernet port. Here are the ports I see:
Ethernet aui port
db-60 serial ports
isdn bri port
console port
auxillary port
Anyone know where the ethernet port is?

I attached a AUI to RJ45 converter on mine I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Errr ... didn't you say ethernet AUI??

Ethernet is ethernet. It can be AUI, thinnet, RJ45. Those are just termionations or connectors. AUI ports just need a transceiver or transceiver/converter to use RJ45.

The Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back