Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A new name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcspike

Programmer
Oct 22, 2008
US
About 12mths ago I re-wrote and copied the whole of my site using Dreamweaver. I deleted the original off the server and uploaded the new version in its place. The content of the site is still the same, but I inadvertently changed some of the page names in the process from something like page1.html to page_1.html and the like. When I started getting 404 ‘Page Not Found’ errors, I realised what was happening, Google and other sites have maintained the old info and still trying to access the old page names.
I thought it a simple matter of just changing page names back again, but find that when I upload the renamed pages they seem to be added rather than overwritten so that I end up with two identical pages on the server with different names. Not really what I want.
My question then must be obvious by now, how do I get round this problem? After all, all I want is a peaceful uncomplicated life, so I would appreciate the answer.

Thanks

Of course they are added, as you see page_1 is different from page1 so they are treated as different files.

From the Remote view in DW, just delete the ones you don't want to have there.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

You have made me a happy man, my life is now uncomplicated. Many thanks

Alternatively, keep two identical copies for a few weeks then get rid of the un-needed ones after the various spiders have refreshed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back