Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A little help from you Silver-Tongued Devils 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJCooperIT

Programmer
May 30, 2002
US
I am currently working a state contract that geared up before the project was really ready to start. I have a manager who has very little time between meetings and production problems. The net effect is that I often finish the few work orders given me and sit idle, sometimes for days.

How does one ask for more work without highlighting the fact that they are mostly paying you for just your presence? I have asked "What next?" and "Do you have another task?". I don't want to seem critical of the manager's ability to assign tasks. Nor do I want to be a pest, but how often should I keep asking "Do you have something for me to do?". Come on folks, surely you can provide me with a list of short & sweet inquiries (humor OK). I can pick one to e-mail each day to at least seem like I am earning my keep!

Oh, by the way, any suggestions on productive "busy" work? I have written utility scripts, explored what I can of the database, created document templates, rewritten spreadsheets, surfed TT and been bored out of my mind. The only bright spot to many days is when there is an Oracle problem the staff developers come to me for help.

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: www.EmuProductsPlus.com

Personally, I would recommend developing a Sudoku solver. It's been great entertainment for me while I wait for work. Gotta love the government.

Here is one childish way to bring it up. Not a keystone by any means, but if you're planning on sending one comment per day anyway...
"This chair is pretty warm already - is there another one I can work on while?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back