Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Linux novice seeks help :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
1. I want to have full access under Linux (Red Hat 7.2) to my windows partitions. i've edited /etc/fstabs and i now i got icons on my Kde desktop that allows my to mount and unmount them, much like a floppy. I want these partitions to be mounted at boot up, like / is mounted. how cn i do it?

2. i've got a Motorolla SM 56K modem, which is Red Hat certified (according to red hat's website) but when i try to make the system recognize it automatically it doesn't work. plus, i tried to manually configure it to /dev/ttyS1 (i think) since in win98 it is attached to com2. iget "modem busy" all the time. all the applications expect to find /dev/modem. any ideas?

3. i've got a scroll mouse (generic) but it is indentified as 3 button generic so the scroll doesn't work. what can i do about it?

4. several program (like Korganaizer) are starting up automatically on login. how i can stop it? i can't find an Autostart folder or something like that.

anyone who knows how to solve these (or some of these) problems, please reply. remember, i'm hardly familiar with linux and or Kde so...

I'm starting out with linux too. Do a search for keywords like, "scroll mouse" or something like that related to the topic. It might help you find some other threads that have already answered your questions. =)

btw, it's not the expert/forum search, you can find it by clicking on the search tab or something on top of the main linux-desktop forum.

Pretty neat eh?

hope this helps

- Rusty - Rusty

1. You must use the "auto" keyword (check out the line of options for your hard drive) to automount a device.
4. There's bound to be an autostart folder. Search from "/".
- Karthika

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back