Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A+ Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostbite2600

Technical User
Feb 28, 2006
US
I am only 16 years old, but I really want to get my A+ Cert. Is there any way to do this over the internet or in a class room or anything? I live in Dallas

Hey Frosty,

I'm about 250 miles west of you. Check out . In the left menu you will see 3 resources for the A+ exam. They are free and excellent. grab a copy of the A+ test objectives from
Use the objectives as a guide to study by. the materials on Certiguide are geared directly towards the A+ exam so you should be in good shape. As you deeper into your studies, keep in touch with us here and we can steer you to other resources that will fine tune you and get you ready for the exams. When you are ready, go to for discount vouchers. You can save a lot of money this way. They also have a direct link to show you how to use your A+ to gain the Electronics Technicians Assoc. Computer Service Technician (CST) certification. Good Luck.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CSS,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

How long do you think it would take me and how much to get the A+? I know ALOT about computers, I've been building them since I was about 7-8. I've fixed them for alot of people many times, and have had to solder on mother boards and stuff to fix broken solder points etc. I found a local place to get my A+ at, and a rep that I talked to said it'll take me roughly 6 weeks to get my A+, and it'll cost about $1000. I really don't want to pay that much, but if it's the best way to go then I will.
Thanks, Frost

frostbite2600,
Take a step away from the $1,000 and follow what glister posted for you!

You can study yourself and then all you have to do is pay for the 2 exams - hardware and software (OS) those tests will run about $120 each or you can find discount vouchers - just check the other posts.

Do a Google on A+ and you will find a ton of more free stuff to help you on the exams.

Also if you do not have any old PCs get yourself a few old PCs on Ebay and practice taking them apart and loading 98, 2000 and XP on them. I have gotten PII 233s for $15 each w/o a monitor.

Check with your high school, most schools have A+ as well as Cisco CCNA Network Academies in them, I know there are several in the Dallas area. If not check the local community college, some will let you complete certain college classes with the OK of your high school.

Here are schools in the Dallas area that teach Cisco so I am sure they would do A+ also -

Richland College
Highlands High School
Skyline High School
Mountain View College
Carter High School
Samuell High School
Business Management Center
Spruce High School
Jefferson High School
Adamson High School
Madison High School
Kimball High School
Lincoln High School
W.T. White High School
A. Maceo Smith High School
Westwood College Dallas DLD (ACC)
Roosevelt High School
South Oak Cliff High School
Lincoln Instructional Center
Faith Family Academy - Oak Cliff
Bryan Adams High School
El Centro College

Check back here as you have questions and save that $1,000

Good luck!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks alot, I guess I'll decline the $1000 offer. My HS does allow the A+, but it takes 2 years and an open schedual. Plus, less than %20 of the ppl in that class have actually passed the test for the A+. I have loaded every OS that Microsoft has ever released after Windows 3.1 countless times and know the Windows Registry really well. I know Unix enough to get me by, but I'm hoping that you dont need to know Unix/Linux to get your A+. Ive got tons of extra HD's laying around, so if I do need to load an OS on a machine, I'll just throw an old HD in this machine and load the OS on it. Going the way you guys are telling me and studying on my own, how long do you suppose it will take for me to get my A+, cause I really want it before the summer starts so I can try and get a job over the summer.

I'm reading up on taking the exam, and alot of places are saying you have to have a certain amount of hours in the field before you can take the exam, or is that only for classes?
Cuz if possible I just want to go up there like within the next 2 weeks and take the test.

Frosty,

I take nothing away from your knowledge and ability but let me warn you, the A+ exams are not to be taken lightly. They ain't easy.

Take a good hard look over the A+ study materials that I pointed you to. They folks who wrote that material (myself being a contributor) have intimate knowledge of the CompTIA testing procedures. We have had our hands in writing more than one CompTIA exam. It's not just a matter of knowing some stuff. there's the old joke of "there's a right answer, a wrong answer and the CompTIA answer."

Work down the list of exam objectives until you are quite confident in your knowledge. Don't skip around. work down the list, in order and then do it again. You are developing a study skill that will serve you for years to come. I always advise to over-study. It gives you that extra margin. Taking certification exams is somewhat of a talent in and of itself. This will not be the last cert. exam you will take. start out doing it right and the others will start falling into place. Each new exam builds off of the foundation you have set with the previous. Don't shortcut yourself. trust me.

Taking certification exams is almost a hobby for me now because I know how to study for them. I got into exam development so that I could become a better test taker. It has benefitted me greatly.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CSS,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

i would also recommend going to your local book store and looking at some of the practice questions in the books. i know the exam cram people put out a book that is only a+ questions. do some of the practice stuff to see where you are strong and where you are weak. spend an afternoon at the bookstore, no need to waste any money...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back