Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a good perl editor for windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbybobbertson

Programmer
Nov 9, 2001
US
i did a thread search for anyone asking about a good perl editor, but came up empty. i sure someone has asked this before but i can't find anything.

i'm looking for a good perl editor for windows. something that has color and highlights things like variables, comments, keywords. it would be nice if it even can catch syntax errors and barewords and such.

right now, i use TextPad with a perl plug in. however, this is not very acurate and can't handle things like:
s#/file/string/search#/file/string/replace#
(the editor thinks this is a comment, due to the # substitution charactor and colors the line look as though it is a comment)

anyone know of anything decent?

Why in the world would anyone port emacs to Windows? That would be like porting edlin to Unix!

(I just admitted to being old enough to even KNOW what edlin IS!)
Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

Hi,

Me again. I like to use Open Perl IDE to debug my perl scripts, but I use Homesite 4.5 and 5.0 as my editor. It allows me to switch between HTML, Perl, etc. when building a web site.

Leland

BY the way, EditPlus has syntax color, tag insertion and a whole bunch of stuff for doing HTML too. PLUS, it has built-in FTP for uploading (and downloading) files. It also has a cliptext system, very good S&R, project management, and more other stuff than I can remember. Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

I just tried out EDIT PLUS.

Its pretty good, but still can't handle things like:

print &quot;<script><!-- \n $my_variable window.resizeTo(130,400); --></script>&quot;

In the print statement above, everything in quotes is the same color.

I would like for the $my_variable variable to be the color of a variable to show that it is interpolated.

I'd also like the \n to show up differently as well.

Also ,if you use modifiers in the search and replace, it is colored as though it is a comment:
s#search#replace# (everything after the first # is colored as though it is a comment)

maybe im just too picky. but if anyone knows of a program that can handle this stuff, please let me know.

Gotta be the Open Perl IDE, I use it all the time.

It's not optimised for web development - but I think that's a good thing :)

Very few bugs, seems quite reliable. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

I'd have to say optiperl, it has built in ftp, you can use perl pattern matches to search your script, it has a code explorer, debugger, and a sytax checker, not to mention a built in browser that lets you run your scripts from your computer. It is also quite inexpensive ($60 USD with debugging, $40 without) and they give you lifetime free upgrades. Age: 17
School: Alberta Distance Learning Center
If at first you can't succeed, try, try again. - programmer's motto.

bobby: I don't think ANY editor will do what you want. At least I've never heard of one. You might be able to change EditPlus to do some of what you want though. It's syntax files are editable and the documentation on them is pretty good.

Mike: When I get time I think I'm going to give the Open Perl IDE a try. I tried out ActiveState's Komodo IDE, but I didn't care for it that much and it was pretty expensive. I've haven't cared much for any IDE I've tried so far.

Nightmare: I might take look at OptiPerl too. Although it's more expensive than EditPlus and doesn't seem to do that much more.

All: I've tried dozens of different editors, and the one I've found that I like best all-around is EditPlus. Not just for perl, but HTML, javascript, basic text editing, etc. I love the fact that it's so flexible and configurable. Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back