Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A field on the report is not shwoing the number formats (Access 2003)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohebk

MIS
Aug 23, 2005
US
Hi,
I have a field on the report that holds numeric values. I formatted it to show standard numbers with 0 decimals. But it is not showing the thousands separator. When I go try to change the format property, the drop down does not show any options now. Not sure what changed it and how to fix it. Please help.

Thanks

Mo

Do you mean you formatted the field in code and put it in an unbound text box, or you formatted a bound text box?
If it's a bound textbox, just type "#,###" in the Format property. Otherwise, use the format() function with this as the 2nd argument.

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Me neither.

Hi,
It is a bound text box and I am using the standard text box properties to format. I was able to do it for many other fields on the report, but not able to for this specific field. I did try #,### and it did not work.

Thanks
Mo

Mo

You need to enclose the format characters in double quotes - works great here.

Hey, I lied. It works with =Format([fieldname],"#,###") in the ControlSource. Sorry!

I expect your report's record source is returning a string for the column/field in question. If you look at the field in datasheet view, it is probably left aligned. If so, it is text and will not allow you to format it as a numeric value. You will need to wrap the column expression in Val().

If you are confused come back with the report's Record Source and the control's Control Source.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

dhookom was right. I changed the data type in the table and it worked great.

Thanks

Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back