Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A few questions on a first time builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalcross

Technical User
Apr 1, 2004
US
Ok first I would like to know what excatlly a chipset is and if it would work with the ati radeon series if it says Nforce or something like that? And my next question is what type of radeon do you perfer or if you perfer an other type of video card?

Oh and I forgot one more. What processor do you perfer for a gamming box? And possible motherboards and memory that will be compatible. I would perfer the 940 socket but if you can only find things in the 754 that would be fine. Thanks!!!

Per Webopedia, a chipset is a number of integrated circuits designed to perform one or more related functions.

If you're referring to an NForce(Nvidia) chipset on a MB, then it will work with an ATI video card.
ATI makes very good performing video cards. The model that you need depends on your usage, i.e., are you a hardcore gamer who likes to play the latest state-of-the-art games, do you do a lot of video editing, are you into graphic designing, or do you want to use multiple monitors, etc., etc.

WRT CPU selection, AMD makes excellent performing CPU's that are less expensive than Pentiums, but they do run a little hotter so you have to get a heatsink, fan, and case that are designed to provide adequate cooling.

I've experienced and read that not all ATI radeon series are compatible with Nvidia chipsets on the MB. I've had two PC's that I have worked on where the ATI radeon card did not work on the Nvidia chipset. Even after bios flashes/upgrades...couldn't get the card to work.

That's possible.
However, I've also seen where Nvidia cards would not work with VIA or Intel chipsets.
Sometimes it's a crapshoot getting hardware components to work with each other.
That's why it's a good idea to check the supplier's return policy before building a system.

I would just like to stick up for Geforce who seem to have been ignored the 5900FX is quite a special card at the moment and reasonably cheap £140 ish its a very good base for a gaming pc!
Im running the 5600 which is a model or 2 above the 5200 which is still in a lot of pc's however the 5600 is serveing me well playing games like Vice City, Mafia, Call of Duty etc with no problems!
Go Geforce
P.S I dont work for them

I am more of the state of the art gamer. And not sure but might want to do some video editing. Any tips on the 940 socket motherboard for gaming? Im am proably going to get a 754 socket since most/all 940 are towards servers.

I have read several reviews on Athlon64 motherboards and all say untill recently, the three main chipset manufactures (Nvidia, SIS and Via) have turned in chipsets that are all much of a muchness and very similar in performance, many reviewers have gone as far as to say that they havn't seen the expected leap in performance from the older socket "A" platform and only moderate gains.
It seems things are improving with new platform drivers and chipset revisions.
It is said that Nvidia is now marginally the quickest with the new Nforce3 250, but there is still alot of room for platform to mature.
In my experience high end ATI cards are fast but much more fussy than Nvidia.
I agree the Geforce FX5900XT is the current mid table King.
If it's top of the line then I prefer Nvidia's FX5950 over the ATI's Radeon 9800XT (there is personal history and loads of money I have spent, that has led me to the above statement)
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back