Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A few questions about creating a Backup Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurky

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2003
GB
Currently we have two Backups servers that do local backups. Out major disadvantage being that if we ever get a problem with the backups, there isn't much we can do with the servers untill the weekend as they are file servers serving over 400 people.

I am considering building a new Server and connecting all 4 tape drives to it and using that for our Backups. It will pull data across the network from at least 9 clients.

Does Arcserve need a lot of processor power? If so, should i think about getting a Dual Processor Motherboard, or a Single Processor Motheroard with a decent CPU?

Thanks in Advance

Lurky

Will it need a lot of RAM or will 256mb be sufficient?

What Operating System would be best? Windows 2000 Workstation or Server? Our current servers are Windows NT 4 Servers.

if you check the getting started guide of arcserve in either support.cai.com or doc folder on the CD it will tell you exactly what are OS supported and system requirement ,these depend on the arcserve version you are using.

Thanks, I'll have a look for them.

I don't suppose you know how long it would take to Backup approximately 250 Gig of data across a network do you?

Lurky,
There are many factors why your backup is slow I think if you look to Faq here you will find good doc on how to troubleshoot throughput problem.

I like Windows 2000 for a backup server.

I'm undecided about the dual processor. The only reason I would say yes is because TCP/IP processing can be very cpu intensive, but from the perspective of the application it does not use a lot of CPU and is not designed to use dual processors.

Lots of RAM is good, and most likely there will be a benifit by putting in more. With four backups running at the same time it is probably a good idea to start out with 512mb.

You did not mention the type of tape drives so from a general perspective no more than two drives per SCSI buss.

NIC teaming is the final recommendation. Four jobs running over the network at the same time will most likely result in a bottleneck at the NIC, so two teamed is a good idea.

At the moment I'm using a P3 700 with 384Mb RAM. I've stuck an old 40/80GB DLT drive on it and I'm running Windows 2000 Server. This is just to run a few test jobs.

I plan to raid the cupboards for some more RAM, The DLT drive won't be staying there either.

When I put the 4 SDLT Drives on, I'll be using the SCSI Cards out of our existing servers. So, in total there will be a SCSI card for the hard drive and CD-Rom, plus two additional SCSI cards, each with two SDLT Drives.

Somewhere I have an NIC with two ports on it, I could try using that. How many NIC's can you team? If it helps I could use the dual port NIC and throw in another single port NIC if I have enough PCI slots available.

Lurky,

Fyi ;o)

In the park I got 2 "identical" backup servers connected to Compaq/HP MSL5026
These backups every day a size of more than 200GB

One of these is a dual CPU Intel Xeon PIV 2.8
The other is a single CPU Intel Xeon PIV 2.8

I notice no difference between these two.

Fredje

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back