Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A few Q's about my 5600's

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordcompaq

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
Hey everyone,

I have a couple questions about a couple 5600's I picked up cheap. I bought some things, used some stuff I had onhand, and made 2 perfectly identical servers (GSX Hosts). Now, im no stranger to Netfinity servers, but I am stumped on a couple issues:

Basic Config:

Bios: 17
1.5GB RAM
Dual 866
SR 4M, 7.10.18
4 x 18G, Raid 5EE

1. Ibm's website is horrible. how can I find of the name of the iso (update express, or serverguide) that was the last one to have support for the 5600's? And a link right to the files from the FTP server would be grand. some of the key directories are list-disallowed.

2. ServeRaid. When I got these home, I made them identical, then turned them on. First server: both LED's on all 4 drives were lit. I did the ServeRaid CD thing, setup raid, init'd the volumes ... installed W2k3. Its happy. I did the same thing with the 2nd one, and while its running fine, the lights on the drive wont go out. Both the fault and the activity lights are pegged.

To try to resolve the issue with the 2nd 4M:

I popped all the drives, and used the mini-config util to return the controller to its factory defaults. powered off, added the drives, rebooted, went into the mini-config, and told the adapter to learn the config from the drives. All the drives are still lit.

Then, I removed the drives, booted from the SR-CD, and from the linux-thingy, told it to delete the array, and return to defaults. Put the drives back in, scanned them up, taught the controller the config .. same thing. all the lights are on.

THEN, I set the state of all the drives to defunct. removed them, deleted the array, defaulted the controller, then put them back, undefaulted the drives, rebuilt the array volume (without initializing), and rebooted the server. Amazingly, it booted into W2k3 with no problems. But all the lights are still on.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I can follow to get my drive lights to behave properly?

Thanks for reading through all this, its much appreciated.

- NuTs

I'm having all sorts of problems with my 5600. Where can I obtain a copy of the bootable CD that you are using to configure the RAID? I've looked for a straight 48 hours!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back