Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(A)DSL VPN - advice requested 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2000
GB
I'm posting this hoping that someone can give me a bit of advice about setting up a VPN over the net using ADSL (ADSL in the UK - DSL in the States?).

The main question which I have yet to get answered helpfully by anyone, is can it be done?

I would appriciate any comments from anyone, but someone who has done it in the UK would be great.

Regards
James R Wilson

Sure it can. I have it working from all sorts of broadband connections for my company. The VPN client is typically installed on our developer's and executive's home machines and allows them to connect to our firewall and have full, encrypted access to the internal network. We happen to use a Cisco VPN solution, but I know that the native W2K RRAS/etc VPN solution works as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but xDSL is a dial-up connection, and if you want to use xDSL on your server side, you will have to use a third party xDSL router to initiate the dial-up itself
Make sure your line is constantly enabled (use some sort of ping tool to keep your line open) and also make sure there are no firewalls/NAT/access filters in between to establish a succesfull VPN connection Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

The DSL router typically keeps a connection open to its local switch station akin to that that a cable modem might. The added loop that many ISP's throw in is that you have to VPN through the local telco and then to the ISP to have internet access. This is typically known as PPPOE or PPP-over-Ethernet. Earthlink uses this technology, and the dominant client software right now is called WinPoet. You are pretty much forced to have a dynamic IP address in the PPPOE-ISP-VPN environment, but I've been able to open a second VPN to my corporate LAN through the ISP's VPN.

Inasmuch that PPPOE is basically a dialup, ADSL is dialup, although there are common DSL implementations that don't use PPPOE.

I personnally am running a VPN server on a DSL connection. I'm with Sympatico in Canada. We have to use a pppoe client to initiate the connection. The connection is always on.

I have run into two problems.

1. Upload speed. My provider caps it at 15kilobytes/sec.
It's not bad, but ...

2. Stale connection. Every week or so, I usually have to
disconnect the DSL connection and reconnection or it
stops working.

Otherwise, works like a charm.

Fred

ADSL = asymmetric digital subscriber line. Same as DSL except that upload and download speeds are not the same. User can download data at a high data rate but typically the upload side is much much slower. Not a good solution for a business if you have users, customers etc. that might need to pull data from your network.

Yes it can be done and with ease using IAS. Make sure the WAN adapter you buy or lease is on the win2k HCL (approved hardware list). Get the broadband provided to set it up with the IP, subnet mask etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back