Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a:\ drive erases floppys when inserted

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottdfs

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
US
not in every case, but several times a user has inserted their disk that contains data, but when they try to access, the drive locks up. when they take their disk to another pc, it is now blank. ran a virus scan, no virus. any ideas?

Is the disk in the same formats as the computers OS? it could be trying to format it, or the disk could have a virus on it, other than that i dont know, these are just my guesses, i tryed to help though ;)

Matt

Make sure and check to see if the ribbon cable to the Floopy drive is hooked up correctly. If its inserted backwards, then anything you insert to it, will get erased.

Caution, the floopy may still read disk, but sometimes after its been hooked up backwards, it may not write correctly anymore

Common issue with a bad floppy drive. Replace the drive and ribbon cable and try again.
PACE Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back