Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A dozen of Default Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmasley

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Win98SE System. In the hardware control panel I I am showing about a dozen of default monitors and then the actual NEC FE950 monitor. I have attempted to remove them through the registry with no luck.

What am I mising here. I know it is a simple solution, just cannot get the brain in the right gear.

Thanks

If you're referring to Device Manager when you say "hardware control panel", then see if you can just remove them from there.
If no luck, then try doing the same in Safe mode.

Win98 had a problem with certain cirrus logic video chips. We had a bunch of computers we could not upgrade (we could upgrade but had problems like yours) until we replaced the video cards.

Try restarting in Safe Mode and remove them in the Device Manager.

The test continues...

Hey Gang!

Thanks for the replys.

First, no cirrus chips. I using a Radeon 7000 video card with a NEC FE950 monitor. The MB has Intel chips 82801 and 82845G. The box came preloaded with XP Home (YUCK!). On board Intel Lan, AC'97 Audio and Intel Graphics (disabled).

As XP Home sucks, I swapped HD from old machine, started in safe mode, removed all devices and drivers. I would have done a fresh install, but this drive has a lot of information and programs that I cannot replace. XP Pro will not update due to a weird error that I cannot recall at this time. It was something about a kernel error.

Sorry about the description, I have 2000 Pro at home and Win88SE does call it the Device Manager.

I have tried to remove them both in real mode and in safe mode but upon startup, they come right back. I know with 98SE, each device loaded sucks resources.

Man, I wish I could update it to 2000 Pro or XP Pro. That would save lot of headaches.

Hello,

I suggest that you get a hold of a program called, RegCleaner 4.3 (it is the Ancestor of JV16Powertools, which may also have this option) there under the TOOLS TAB you can RESET the HardwareConfiguration... caution, you will need the Win98SE CD and/or all Driver CD's again aswell as the CHIPSET Drivers, for this will totally wipe the HARDWARE settings!

this is basically safe under Win95 to WinME, and should not be done on W2k or above!!!!!!!

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back