Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A desperate New Guy....router config problems. HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigShef

Technical User
Mar 7, 2005
GB
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Please bear with me, i'll try and make this as painless as I can.

I am totally new to the world of routers, so please forgive any basic errors i have made.

Basically i am running a Westell 2200 series router on a WinXP machine. It connects directly to my PC's NIC. (i have only one nic, running the latest drivers)

For testing purposes I am running no windows firewall, no software firewall and the router firewall is set to off.

The first thing i find odd (maybe it isn't to you guys) is that my machine passes a firewall test perfectly (
How come if i am running no firewall protection?

Secondly i am trying to allow a program namely radmin that uses port 4899.

I have allowed the service (under the services menu) to port forward from 4899 to my PC's NIC. I have checked a friends configuration and it is exactly the same, but it my router is does not allow traffic to this application.

I can use the web, email and msn no problem at all, but anything beyond this appears to be a problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks (sorry if this is really unclear)

The one thing that isn't clear, which may be your problem is which protocol? UDP or TCP? You said port 4899, however you need to specify in your Westell configuration if it is UDP or TCP. 4899 should be your base port.

I checked for you: You need both assigned.

So on your Westell Router you need to port forward both UDP and TCP packets. So you will have two definitions of service rather than one.

Source info from and

Hi Brt1991,

Thanks very much for your reply.

At the moment it is set to TCP only.

Do i have to define the service twice (1 for TCP / 1 for UDP) or can i tick the TCP & UDP box under service configuration and only have 1 service running.

Thanks again!

You need both -- one for UDP and one for TCP.

Give that a try and let me know!

brt1991

Hi Guys,

Ok i've added the service now with TCP and UDP packets being forwarded still no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

BigShef

Firewall can be turned off and you still wont be able to communicate...

What you need to do is setup a NAT translation from your extenral IP of your router to your PC's internal IP for the TCP protocol and your port number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back