Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a deployment question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZSEEK

Programmer
Feb 13, 2003
US
what is the best way to deploy the new service -- by using the installutil to load it on another computer or by doing an MSI package... any samples of do this for a Windows Service...

Well, if your going to distribute it - the best way for other users to easily install the service is through a setup program. You could give them instruction on how to use InstallUtil, but for some that might not work.

To install a service with an MSI you need to add a couple of custom actions. Add the Primary Output of your project to both the Install and Uninstall parts of the Custom Actions page of the setup project.

I haven't done a MSI under the new VS.net yet -- Are there any good examples (aka walkthroughs) out there that you know of?

Not that I know of - although it is pretty easy. Add another project to your solution and make sure it is a Setup Project. I believe the target File System is the first page. You will need to add your Project Output to the Application Folder (right click to do so). Once added you can right click the Project Output, and create a shortcut which you can drag to either the User's Desktop or User's Start Menu. Thus creating a direct link to the program. Since it is a service you will want to change over to the Custom Actions Editor (use the Solution Explorer Toolbar), and follow what I mentioned earlier to add it as a service.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back