Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

a crash in 8690SF while trying to upgrade its memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamerAhmed

Technical User
Sep 11, 2006
EU
Hello,

I had a problem while i tried to upgrade the memory on my 8690 SF on my passport 8600, as while rebooting the switch logged that the intialization failed for this card 8690 because the CPU can not read from a specific location in the sram, which caused the sawitch to fail while rebooting. The Memory i got was not from NORTEL as i read before ( it's not a must to get the memory from NORTEL, it's standard one!!).Putting into your account even when i got the original memory and tried to rebnoot the switch again, the same error message mentioned above appeared again!!!

So may you help me in such problem

Thank you in advance

You're right that the memory isn't particularly special, and plenty of people have upgraded with non-Nortel parts. It might have tight tolerances for speed though, are you sure the new memory has the same specs as the old memory?
I don't recall if the memory was unbuffered, buffered, ECC, parity, ect - but those things are worth checking as well.

Thanks for help , but even if the specs for my new memory were not compatable with the original one, why when rebooting the switch again using the original one, i got the same error that i had when i used the new one?!!. Does this mean that the new ( let's say now non-compatable memory) made someting wrong with my CPU board?!!

It sure seems unlikely, unless there was some kind of static discharge during the upgrade (you did use a grounding strap... right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back