Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A+ Core 2morrow AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdutchy

Technical User
Jul 26, 2005
US
I'm taking the A+ core tommorrow AM for the second time. Barely failed the first time (can't remember score) because I didn't study sockets, slots and I/O adresses very much! I'll keep ya updated. Wish me luck!

LUCK!

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CFOT,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

good luck bud

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

Stuart
A+, Net+

Thanks for the "Luck" guys. I passed with a 667. I would've had a higher score, but the were many-let me rephrase that- ALOT of SCSI questions regarding the physical setting of ID's and troubleshooting. I'm not that familiar with SCSI, so that was difficult. Just a "heads up" for anyone out there prepping for the test!

well done!

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

Stuart
A+, Net+

Outstanding!

I'm preparing to take the a+ core exam again soon. I failed it unexpectedly the first time. Is there a particular book to study that is better than others? Thanks.

I couldn't tell you what book ( I used an online study program), but I can tell you that my test contained alot of SCSI questions regarding cables, termination, setting ID's (physical jumper settings), and troubleshooting. Other than that, there were a couple of IDE questions, IRQ questions, and DMA's. All of the later were very easy, common sense questions. I found that it is best to go through the test and answer only the questions you know for sure. If you don't know or are debating an answer, mark it and come back. I know it doesn't matter how many you get wrong(cause of the secret scoring system), but I had 16 marked questions at the end, and I guessed on a few and still passed with a 667. Good Luck on yor retake!

If you want a great study guide for SCSI go here:

Chapter 10: The Small Computer System Interface, SCSI

It explains SCSI in an easily understandable format.

yeah. they gave me atleast five scsi ?'s. I will be taking it a second time also. First go was 506 and needed 515.
Now 515 is only getting 66% right? I thought you needed 80% to pass? But yeah, here is a good scsi page for jumpers.

Well that's the fun part of the scoring system. Each question is worth a different amount of points. What I dont't understand is the results state that it has a scaled score between 100 and 900 points. Does this mean that the total score changes? And if so, how can 515 be the passing point if the test is only worth 500? The world may never know.....

true. but if you take a practice test with 70 questions I think you can only miss like 12. and you get an 80%. Now when you take the test for real you don't get to know how many right and wrong. But I think that on the topics to study page they give you is an indication of how many you missed. Like I had 17 dots or topics. It is not as easy as most think but then again if I would have looked more at SCSI I would have passed.

mrdutchy, what material did you use to prepare for the test the second time around? congrats again

Mista-Do you mean topics or study aids?

mr dutchy, i meant what type of study aids do you recommend. anything you can suggest to help would be cool. thanks again

I used an certification study course and their study aids. This is the first cert that I went after so i wouldn't be a great one to ask. Glister?!?!?!?

The CertiGuides found on this site are adaptations of complete certification study guides that, when used properly, will greatly increase your chances of passing your exam. Best of all, you can browse them online absolutely free!

or you can buy your very own copy.
A+ 4 Real
Author: Ian Kayne, Tcat Houser, Gudrun Funk, et al.
ISBN: 0-9767992-8-6
Binding: Paperback
728 pages $34.99

Author: Ian Kayne, Tcat Houser, Gudrun Funk, et al.
ISBN: 1-59457-720-X
Binding: Hardcover
763 pages $48.95

or you can buy the PDF for download here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back