Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A+ Certification Opinions Needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

italkvt

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2006
US
Hi, I'm considering becoming A+ and Security+ certified. I would prefer to study at home so I did a Google search for A+ certification videos. Could anyone who is already certified and/or works in the IT/IS field tell me what they think of these prep courses.

»
I think it is a spectacular deal! Please give me your opinions though?

Next I have to justify VESID purchasing the program(s) for me To do that I need the following information from fellow professionals in this forum.

A. Will the cost of the prep course + getting A+ and/or Network+ certified help me land another job as a computer or network operator. In other words is getting these certifications going to mean anything to an employer vs. going to college. Will the roughly 1k spent on getting 2 certifications justify the means?

B. The prep course above is on CDROM and not online. My votech counselor wants me to propose a study-at-home A+/Network + prep course online. However all the ones I have looked at are not appealing. Because they just seem to ne plain old text from a Que prep book stuck online with a practice exam or two? Ulearn seems to be the better bet?

C. I pulled this from my resume:

- Responsible for the daily operation of computers, servers, printers, and communications equipment
- Monitored of LAN/WAN to ensure that network was available to all system users
- Detected and solved problems in computer software and hardware
- Fixed and reinstalled computer software and hardware,
- Maintained a company network to insure smooth operation of
- Troubleshooted network connectivity, desktop configuration, printers connectivity, and network access issues regarding permissions.
- Provided technical support to end-users in hardware/software proficiency.
- Set up network using ethernet topology, spliced cables, laid cables and installed computers.

With all the previous knowledge listed above would it be realistic to say passing the A+/Network + exams should be something I could obtain within 6-12 months with the help of the prep materials from Ulean. Thanks for All Advice!

italkvt,

I can not say anything about the videos since your link does not work, but (IMHO)$1,000 is a lot for A+ and Net +!!!

I have always liked CBT Nuggets - - they have some FREE trials that you can sample to see if you like the videos. In most cases you should also use a good book to go with any videos you use. For A+ and Net + Mike Meyers has always been very good!

As for A+ and Network +, these certs are only going to get you an entry level job in most cases.

If you have any background in computers and networking it should not take more then a month or 2 to get those certs. Security + will take a bit longer and should - you need a very strong background in networking before you can be effective in securing a network!!

You might want to also consider some certs on the next level - CCNA, MCSA or MCSE, these will take longer to complete but if you have the experience they will help land more then an entry level job.

Having A+, Net +, Security + and CCNA as well as some experience will go a long way towards landing more then an entry level job!

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

You really only need the book. Go to your local bookstore, purchase the exam-cram book or purchase online and put in a few good weeks of studying per exam. I forgot exactly how much I paid to take the exams but thier roughly around 150ish + the books which are around 60ish each. One of my books came with an exam voucher which also saved me some cash. If you already work in the industry, the test should review most the things you already know and you may only have to worry about memorizing a few things.
Check the cost of the test at 2test.com might wanna check out used books on amazon. Im almost sure both these certs can be done in well under 500.

I don't really have much to add to what CiscoGuy and j4606 say, but you may want to ask in Forum889 for more specifics relating to CompTIA certification and testing.

From my perspective, CompTIA certifications are more introductory level than say the Microsoft or Cisco equivalents, and I'd strongly recommend looking at some of these instead. The exams are cheaper (at least for Microsoft) as well, but you have to do more of them for the certifications.

John

I have taken the Security+, and I would strongly recommend to stay away from the courses and videos etc. Tried those sort of things for my MCSE. A few of my latter exams I did from book and I really wish I did all of them from book - would have saved a lot of money.

Security+ isn't a very complex or hard exam as long as you know TCP/IP and networking in general. If you've done some work in networking I would strongly recommend ditching courses and going for a book.

My two pence.

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

italkvt,

I am sorry - I would not pay $645 for A+ training - if you really want video training - check eBay - I did a quick search for "A+" Comptia and got a bunch of CBTs from about $10 to $100 (the $100 was for several CompTIA exams).

You do not need mentor support - just hang out in the CompTIA forum here !!! :)

You can also find lots of free stuff online with a little Googling.

With the background you listed all you need is a good A+ book and an older $25 PC off eBay or a 2nd Hand store to practice on.

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

When I got my A+, in 1998, me and another each purchased a book with disk that had sample test. We just kept taking the practice test until we were acing them and we passed the test easily.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

As an older, experienced techie (20+ years), I use to pooh pooh the A+ certification, thought it was meant for opening doors to entry level work for the inexperienced technician. But with many companies requiring this for warranty work and after having taken and passed it myself I now feel very different about the value of the A+. It has opened new opportunities for me and it was also needed to get Dell and IBM desktop and laptop certified. Depending on your experience, a good CompTIA A+ exam preparation book and taking those practice exams go a long way to help you achieve your A+. I concur with J4606 and Bospruell.

Organizations have their own qualifications.

You could be an expert in DB2 and worked in that role for 10 years as a DBA for a Fortune 50 company, and if you wanted to become a trainer for IBM? They would require you to get certification in what your teaching.

Sun does this with their trainers, too. It is typical in the IT field that companies want a certificate showing they have competency.

There has to be some measure, but I am not sure having a certificate is enough of a qualification. I would rather have somebody with an education background, either in K-12, or adult education, or counseling, etc., plus 10 years experience in the field, without certification, than a trainer with 2 years experience and a cert showing they are qualified in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back