Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A bug on Sniffer Pro 4.7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexTovar

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2001
MX
Hi all.

I have installed Sniffer Pro 4.7 on two Dolch FlexPAck
One with Pentium IV a 2.0GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, 4 slots PCI, Windows NT 4.0, SP 6 and the other with Windows 2000 SP 3, both have 2 Adaptec 10/100 and Gigabit, one agent is used for Snifferbook and another for LAN analysis. The problem is when working with multiple agents ( LAN and Gigabit or LAN and Snifferbook ) and trying to close one of them, I get an error " Sniffer.exe has generated errors, an error log is being generated "

First I thought the card included with Dolch was the problem and I disabled the Sniffer binding from it, but the error still appears, sometimes on my first session, sometimes after several minutes. Have anyone seen something like this ? Nothing to do with Dr Watson.

Hi,
This could well be because you upgraded from an older version of Sniffer Pro to 4.7 without removing the older version (or only part of it).

You will also need to delete the sniffer.ini and the registry keys associated with Sniffer Pro of the older version that was installed.

Now I would suggest to uninstall sniffer pro remove the sniffer.ini if it is still on the system and remove the following registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\Mercury
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates, Inc.

The reboot and reinstall. Am 99% sure the error does not happen again.

AZeemeri:

Thanks for your answer:

The problem here is that Both Dolchs were brand new, in fact, when we started them windows finished its installation, we just upgraded from IE 5 to IE 6, and installed service pack 3 on Win2000, and IE 6 on winNT.

We thought installation failed somehow, but we installed again ( changing the directory path, so the registry would be different ) but the problem still appears.

Then I tried with a different license, but nothing seems to be the solution.

Any comment will be appreciated.

I don't think changing the directory path will make the registry different. At least I have never seen that?
This is definatly not a licensing issue.

Please try my suggestion and see if it works.

delete the whole NAI regfiles and ini and the software itself + directories that were left and reboot and reinstall. Couple of minutes work, but you might get a better result.

Else give tech support a call

Hi,

Your problem may well be to do with IE6 - it upgrades various Java components which can have implications for Sniffer software - try a reinstall without upgrading past ie5.5.

Many McAfee products have the same issue...

CCW

Hi AlexTovar,

Was wondering if you got this sorted ?
I would agree with Azeemeri that a reinstallation could solve, more then the Java story from ChrisCW.
The VM of ie6.0 should be no problem, and is only used for the dashboard (read ActiveX components).

FlipW:

I just reinstalled Sniffer but the problem kept appearing, so I uninstalled it, erase Sniffer registry entries, and downgraded IE6 to IE5.5, and now everything is ok, This Dolch has many interfaces ( gigabit, ethernet, etc. ) and now it works fine ! Downgrading another Dolch with 6 interfaces ( 2 gig, Token ring, ethernet and OC3 ATM ) to IE5.5 and it's working preciously ! Maybe this can be the solution for your problem, too.

Hope this helps.

Read it and weep FilipW!!! hahaha... ChrisCW

** Helen Waite is now in charge of all rush orders. If you are in a hurry, just go to Helen Waite.

You guys are too funny! Well, glad to see the problem was resolved. However, my laptop is running IE 6 but I haven't had any major issues (yet). I'm using the Realport RBE-100TX on an IBM Thinkpad w/Windows 2000. What is it specifically about IE6/Java that causes issues? Sr. Network Engineer
ArcLight Systems, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back