Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A+ and Net+ certs to get back on track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IchabodV

Technical User
May 25, 2009
US
I'm 48 years old and have been a component level electronics technician for most of my life. I have a lot of pc experience and have built every computer I have ever used but, I have been working in a non-tech job for almost 10 years so the technical aspect of my resume is getting quite stale. I'm getting my A+ and Net+ certifications to help get my knowledge more current and wonder if anybody has any suggestions as to where to go after that to make myself more employable in today's market?

Depends really... what is you are wanting to do? PC's, Routers, Servers? If you want to do the network side, go with your CCNA. If you want to do the PC side, go with more Window XP/Vista side and probably Linux. If you want to go with Servers, then Windows Exchange, AD, Server enviroment... Oh and there is always the security side as well.... It just really depends on where you want to go. I would definetly recommend going to your local community college and see what type of classes/degree plans they offer. Depending on the school, they can have come really decent lab equipment to get some hands on experience. Also, you will be able to meet a lot of different people going the same direction as your self, which is never a bad thing!

Good luck!!

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

IchabodV,

Dallas made some VERY GOOD POINTS - I am older than you and I have taken (and taught) lots of different classes at community college !!!

Great place to meet others like you and pick up your skill set as well as networking in the classrooms - had many people make lots of contacts in class :)

CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thank both of you. I had not considered my community colleges because I figured that they would be full of late teen, early twenty's who would look at me like a relic.

I think that the network side with some security would be a good way to go. Any opinions?

I really enjoy the networking/voip side myself. I have been attempting to add some security into the mix, but I really need to finish out my CCNP before I go down that road.

Don't worry about the age thing, you will have a few early twenties in your classes, but normally they are filled with older people coming back for a change or just getting up to speed on what has changed.

As for what you are wanting to do, start with either Net+ or CCNA and go from there. Cisco Net Academy is suppose to start offering CCNA Security as well next fall from what I was told last semester (atleast where I go).

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

IchabodV,

You said -
"I think that the network side with some security would be a good way to go. Any opinions?"

Go Cisco - CCNA, then CCNA Security to start. Check your area for a Cisco Network Academy, you will find an academy locator at - many community colleges and colleges are Cisco Network Academies!

As far as the teens at community college - you will see them most in the math and English classes - as you move into the more technical classes the average age increases.

In the Cisco Academy classes I taught the ages ran from about 23 to about 55 with lots of military from Central Command and even a few network admins with 25 +++ years experience on the job :) They said sitting behind a desk - they got NO hands on experience, so they loved taking the classes!!!

I have attended, taught and worked at a community college since 1996!!!

Good luck!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back