Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A+&N+ Rollover to ETA Certs

Status
Not open for further replies.

glister

Technical User
Aug 25, 2002
US
The Electronics Technicians Association International Exam
Advisory Committee for the Certified Network Systems Technician
(CNST), after numerous requests, has determined that we will now
begin accepting Network + as a rollover for our CNST.

In order to successfully complete this conversion for Net+ to
CNST you will need to submit a $50.00 processing fee, and provide
proof of your Network + certification. A prerequisite to the CNST is
the Computer Service Technician (CST), Certified Network Computer
Technician (CNCT), or A+ certification. Once all of these requirements
have been met you will be able to apply for your ETA-I CNST.

We hope that this new decision to accept Network+ is one that
you will benefit from, and we would greatly appreciate any feedback on
how this change is affecting you. If you would like more details on how
to go about this process, you can call us here at ETA-I, 1-800-288-
3824, with any questions or concerns. Thank you.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,CFOT,CCNT,ISA CCST3

I came across this post and was interested in more information. I currently hold an A+ cert, MCP, but more importantly I also am a Certified PC/Lan Technician. To achieve the last certification I had to attend 1001 classroom hours of training over an eight month period. The curriculum that I followed was very close to this... (I took the class 5 years ago so it has changed a little (Please visit sight for details of my training.) When I attended this coarse we had 1001 hours of classroom instruction. My question is this can I roll these over into the CNST Cert?

Richard B. Butler
UIHC Telecommunication Services
Network/Communications Engineer III
Certified PC/Lan Technician, MCP, A+
200 Hawkins Dr., C-132 GH
Iowa City, IA 52242-1009
319-353-6591 Richard Butler MCP A+

Even Pigs can fly with the proper amount of thrust!

The A+ will rollover to the CST and the Network+ will rollover to the CNST. A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,CST,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Thanks for the response... Do you think that my other Cert. would fulfill the requirements to obtain the CNST? I understand this is not a Net+ but the requirements to achieves the cert. is higher than that of the Net+ The problem I have is companies do not put weight on the PC/LAN Certification because they never heard of it. Richard Butler MCP A+

I rather doubt it. The folks at ETA have gone through and evaluated Net+ vs. CNST. You could ask but I doubt they would consider it unless there was a sufficient volume of candidates to warrant it.

You ought to get CompTIA Network+ certified. Sounds like you have covered all the material and with a quick review, you should be able to zip thru the exam. Then you would be CompTIA certified and you could roll it over to CNST. A+ and Network+ can also be used in place of the elective requirement for the Microsoft MCSA.

Check out the Network+ objectives here:

Let me know if I can help further. I know a great deal of resources for Study guides, etc. Does your employer have tuition reimburement? Many times they will pay for certs.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,CST,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Thanks again for the response... I went to the link you posted and reviewed the materials quizzed on. Now I'm stoked! I think it would be far easier to just take the test than trying to convince someone I met the criteria. Thanks for the information.....~~~~~....~~~~~ Off to study!!! :) Richard Butler MCP A+

No my employer does not even train us. We have to pay for all our own training. I just spent $300+ on training material last week to study up for my CCNA. So I don't count on them to assist me in my advancements, I take care of that myself. Richard Butler MCP A+

Are these certs valid in the UK? if so how can we brits get hold of one.

Im A+ N+ and MCP

Regards,

Brian

Yes, these certs are quite valid in the UK. I just spoke to the folks @ ETA and they said you can fax or email the paperwork (copies of A+ or N+) along with payment ($30 US for CST, $50 US for CNST). You may also contact them via email for any additional info.

email: eta@tds.net
fax: 765 653 4287

snailmail: ETA-I
5 Depot Street
Greencastle, IN 46135

They are very helpful people and I have been very pleased in my dealings with them. I am testing for additional certs with them later this month. Good Luck. A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,CST,CNST,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

In other words if you are already A+ and Network + certified you will get a CNST Certification if you pay the $50 dollar processing fee? I'm already A+ and just started my Network+ certification a few days ago. Once I pass my Networks+ certification all I have to do is fax them copies of my certificates and payment to become CNST?

Dan

That's it. A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,CST,CNST,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

You say that once you have the A+ and N+ you can apply for the CNST. It also states in the very first post that you can also get the ETA-I CNST.

Whats the differance between the ETA-I CNST & CNST.

Regards,

Brian

ETA-I (Electronics Technicians Association International)
CNST (Certified Network Systems Technician)

ETA-I CNST - CNST (No Difference) A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,CST,CNST,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Glister, I can't find a page that details what your talking about.. Do you have url for me by chance? Thanks!
Once more thing, I just wanna make sure I understand this, if I'm A+ and Net+ than I can get this ETA-I CNST cert right now? "tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Thats it! thanks!

I don't like the words "roll over" in there.. does this mean our A+ and Net+ will be gone? that was expensive!!! so what's the benifit of these CST and CNST anyways? just more money to spend..?? "tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..

Your A+ and Net+ will still be good you will just be certified by another organization. You will then have 4 certs instead of 2. You can do it or not some employers will see the resemblance of the two and some will not. As you see I did it and when I get the Net+ I will do it then also. More money YES open more door most likely. RBB
Certified PC/Lan Technician, MCP, A+, CST

sneaky.. very sneaky.. but reasonable!
ok.. Here goes another $80!! ha ha "tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..

I just passed the Associate CET exam! I am an offical Certified Electronics Technician. Only four more exams and I will be a Master CET. :) A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,CET,CST,CNST,CFOT,CCNT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back