Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9i on Unix(AIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushdib

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
US
Hi,
I am new to the unix environment. We are installing Oracle 9i in a AIX box (it's a developer edition - standard edition). Is there any way I can remote to this machine from my windows xp machine using Enterprise Manager console? Otherwise is there anyway to open the Enterprise Manager console in the unix box?

Thank you,

Rushdi

Rushdib,

I successfully run Enterprise Manager console over the Oracle 9i DBs which are on our AIX box.

It was relatively simple to set up and using my TNSNAMES file, even allowed me to select from the list of DBs.

Hi,
I was able to connect to the database from my machine using the EM console. I tried to use the database configuration assistant to create a database and I don't know how to specify the path for the database.

Thanks,

Rushdi

You have 2 options:
1. Launch some X-Server on your XP box and set DISPLAY variable on Unix box. In this case you may launch EM console right on AIX.
2. Add a new database to your tnsnames.ora file either by editing it manually or using Net Asssistant.

Regards, Dima

Ahh.. that is a different story! Indeed a "fun" time ahead for you!

This is how I think I got it to work, though I suspect some fluke was innvolved too.

1. Telnet into UNIX server.
2. Logon as Oracle
3. Enter: export DISPLAY=a.b.c.d:0 (where a.b.c.d = your IP address - prob can use localhost or 127.1.1.1 whatever it is)
4. Enter: dbca

Hi,
I was able to use the method MCubitt suggested to create a database. Now I cannot connect to that database. The error has to do something with the SID.

Thanks,

Rushdi

What is the error message and from where are you trying to connect to this database?

Anand.

Error: SID given in connector descriptor could not be resolved.

The database sits in a AIX box

I am trying to connect from my machine (windows xp) using the Enterprise Manager console. When I created the database, i use the same name for global database name and SID. Is that a problem?

Thanks,

Rushdi

No. That isn't a problem. Did you update the tns entry on your XP machine with an entry for this new database.
Also make sure that the host name or IP address are accessible as they apear in the tns entry (you can establish that by ping). Also make sure that the listener in listening on the same port as listed in tnsnames.ora.

Could cut and pest exact error message when you connect to the database from your local SQL*Plus?

Anand.

Hi Anand,
I am new to Oracle. So please bear with me. I checked the tnsnames.ora in my machine and there is an entry for the database. I can ping the server from IP. What does the tnsnames.ora do?

Thanks,
Rushdi

Tnsnames.ora is used by client oracle applications to connect to the database. It stores connectivity information about target databases. This file and more importantly, sqlnet.ora file, are essential components or Oracle's connection protocol (SQL*net).
You mentioned that you have aproblem with connect descriptor.
Is it possible for you to cut and pest the TNS entry for this database and exact error when you try to connect to the database using sql*plus?

Anand.

Hi Anand,
Give me your e-mail address, I'll send you the attachment.

Thanks,

Rushdi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back