Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98se won't shut down automatically 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ssshaker

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2000
AU
I run Win98se in ATX case with shutdown prob. Used to shut down automatically every time but now stops at "It is now safe to turn your computer off" screen. Have tried all power options both in control panel and in BIOS with no luck.
I downloaded a small programme called "Shutdown" but all it did was start to shutdown then restored all desktop icons and finished starting.
I think there is an adjustment I can make in the registry by changing "0" to "1" or visa versa.
Hope someone can help.
Regards.......Nev

PS: Win98 shutdown supp didn't help at all

This is the Famous Universal Problem in Windows 98. The following will work, but your customer will have to remember to click on the desktop icon to shut down. (I still forget sometimes!)

Create a new shortcut on the desktop named 'Shutdown'.

In the command line type this:

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user,exitwindows

It will shut down correctly - and quickly!

The patch that Microsoft has posted will work in some computers, but within a short time, it will fail.

Try here:

If you have 98 SE (second edition) install the shutdown supplement. It's only for 98 SE:

Microsoft's 98 SE shutdown troubleshooter:

"The patch that Microsoft has posted will work in some computers, but within a short time, it will fail."

Where do you get that from CruiserDude? Ssshaker, ignore his comment about the patch and install it if you haven't already and see if that fixes it. For alot it does but for some it doesn't. If it doesn't see the troubleshooter links I gave above.

I have also found the MS shutdown patch will work for a while in some computers and after a few weeks the problem re-appears again. If I install the patch again everythings good for a while then problem comes back.

I've probably got 4-5 pc's that will do this at the office. Beats the heck out of me.

Here is another variation of the shutdown icon:

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32,SHExitWindowsEx 1

I have used this for a long time and it will shut my pc down in about 3 or 4 seconds.

Thanks all for the replies. Yes the MS Shutdown supp was the first thing I tried with zero success and I then went to MS page and tried all that as well but didn't see anything about the
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32,SHExitWindowsEx 1
fix. Will give it a go. Thanks again

TechnicalUser
NuklearBoy

I had recenrly the seemingly wellknown problem of Win98SE,
not shuting down but restarting for a new session.Going through a lot of bla bla I found the one that works, at last
e.g. "Problems Shuting down Windows 98SE". Go to FastShutdown Registry Key is Enabled" do the following: in RUN type regedit AND CAREFULY go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\Shutdown
on the right pane change the FastReboot value from "1"to"0"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back