Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98se to XP Home File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidWolf

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
US
Argh!
I run two machines right now, new one is XP Home, old one is 98SE. I have them connected via a Linksys Router. When I first set them up on the router (BEFSR41) I had a folder on the XP machine sharedby the 98SE with no problems.

NOW, after (I think) having rebooted the 98SE pc with the XP one off, the 98SE machine wants a password for the shared resource on the XP machine!! (None of my usual ones work, either.)

Well dagnabit, there isn't one! (Does this on the printer, too, which also used to work just fine.) Where do I fix this in XP Home? There is no sharing pword there...

Other info:
There are no 'user' logins except my one login for the XP with admin privs, and same on 98 machine.

I CAN share 98SE folders with the XP machine, and am using that for now.

I don't know what broke this functioning connection, and I can't find anything remotely related anywhere else.

Thanks in advance

RabidWolf
New to here 12/2002

Is there any chance you disabled the guest account? With simple file sharing enabled, remote users athenticate as 'guest'.

Guest IS disabled. But I believe it was originally, anyway. I certainly didn't disable it myself. Ok, maybe an MS Patch did?
Thanks,
RW

To make things more clear:

I'm not talking about the local login for Guest - this is usually disabled.

I'm talking about the actual account - Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Administrative tools, Computer Management, Local Users & Groups, Users, guest.

As I mentioned originally, XP Home!
Obviously different for XP Home, as I don't have those items/that tree. This is a Simple sharing issue I guess.

Thanks, anyway, though. Much appreciated.
RW

Could you have disabled simple file sharing? Reboot and start up in safe mode by pressing F8 while booting. Log on as Administrator. Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools, Folder Options, View tab, near the bottom, make sure Use Simple File Sharing is checked.

Well, not EXACTLY as you described it, but I did manage to change something via SafeMode permissions.

(Completely different than what you get with the XP-Home GUI; and a couple other tweaks seems to have done it.)

I can now access the folder from the old machine!!

Many thanks, smah.
[thumbsup2]
RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back