Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98SE Install Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rello

Technical User
Oct 25, 2001
CA
Hi

Loading 98se onto a PIII 550 Dell machine with a scsi drive. At the first boot after software load it hangs on the network password prompt. Will not accept any input - even tried hitting esc. Not sure were to go from here. Tried loading it again - same problem.

Any help would be appreciated

Is it that it is rejecting what you type, or is it completely frozen at the prompt? Meaning, when you type characters, does it actually type in the field?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks for replying mattjurado

The first time up it let me type in a password then froze. Mouse would not react to anything. Subsequent attempts produced the same result. I have tried hitting esc, just return and even putting the password from before the load.

Very puzzling.

Sounds like a hardware problem. Are you sure you have proper scsi termination? Any other operating systems work okay on this pc?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Found out a solution to my problem but am still baffled by it. It turns out that all I had to do was provide an internet connection to the computer when booting. I learned a lot about scsi drives and termination. I had everything right - all I needed was the connection. I had loaded win98se onto two drives with the same result. After finding the solution both drives worked find. I have loaded software before onto many computers and have never ran into this problem.

Glad to have it working once again. Thanks for the pointers.

This isn't standard for any 98 I've ever installed, including Dells. Unless you have a restore disk, in which case it is probably going to Dell for upgrades.
Standard install doesn't connect to the net until you ask it to.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I agree totally. It was a leased machine that one of the big companys turned in (I am guessing). I picked it up for $200 - I thought it was a great deal because it had an Adaptec scsi card in it and that alone is worth the cost. Not sure why it is reacting that way.

Take Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back