Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98se - Floppy won't in windows work but will in dos mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPCKen

Programmer
Feb 17, 2003
US
Hi, I am working on a client's laptop PC. It is an IBM Thinkpad 600e with a 24x CDROM in the swap bay and an external floppy drive that plugs into the side. Running Windows 98se, I cannot get the floppy drive to read a disk! I get the message "disk is not formatted, format it now?" In the msdos prompt, I get a "general read error". BUT, when I restart the laptop in msdos mode OR boot from the floppy drive, it reads and writes any diskettes fine.

I tried deleting the floppy and the FDD controller from windows and have the Add Hardware find them and reload them. That did not work. I replaced the files ios.vxd, hpflop.pdr, and diskdrv.inf with fresh copies and reloaded them. Still did not work. I stopped Norton Anti-Virus from checking the floppy with every access. I tested the floppy drive in the swap bay - no difference.

The fact that the drive works fine in msdos mode and to boot from would tell me it is not a hardware problem. Please help! Thank you.
OldPCKen

Not always the case. I had the same problem with a clients PC & I thought exactly the same as you, that it wouldn't be the hardware.
I decided to change the floppy drive, just to prove it, but it all worked fine afterwards.
Doesn't really make sense, but believe me, it is true.
Hope this helps you.

My client told me that he tried his floppy drive on someone else's ThinkPad and it works! I also believe he said that other person's floppy drive will not work on his. Are there any laptop experts out there? Please help. Thanks.
OldPCKen

Have you actually tried re-installing Windows over the top of the existing version?
This may fix the problem.
Have you checked that there isn't a virus?
I use AVG Anti-Virus boot disc's to check for viruses from DOS. You can download a free version or a trial.
Version 6 is the free version & can be downloaded at I know Norton Anti-virus is installed, but are the definition files upto date & has the client run a full check of the system at regular intervals?
Have you checked for spyware etc. Probably not the cause, but they can cause problems.
Try AddAware from Or Spybot search & destroy
(can't remember the website)

Kestrel1, thank you for the suggestions. For DOS based anti-virus pgms, I've used F-Prot. I will try both and use Adaware the next time I see my client to install a scanner.

OldPCKen

I would also be curious to know if you can read the floppy from Safe Mode...?

Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back