Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98se during install boots to safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Semi Seasoned tech here having a bit of a new problem. I have replaced/installed/reformatted many hard drives in the past few years but I am seeing a problem I have never seen before. During win 98 se installation, after installing a new hard drive, (WestDig 20.0G) allowing it to install with the WestDig EZ-Installer, windows boots up into safe mode on its first reboot after copying system files, it doesnt make it to the device installation segment of windows installation. The problem has been repeated on several new drives and after several fdisk/reformat sessions as well. I went through step by step confirm during the windows boot and noticed that it shuts down after trying to run the virtual386.vxd (?). I can get it to a state where it should load to windows...ie I fully boot win to safe mode then restart...during the next load it then shuts off and reboots into safe mode again, when the virtual386.vxd file tries to load. I just need windows to run and get this pc out of my life...lol...any suggestions or help?

SCS_Tech,

A few weeks ago, I ran into a similar problem. What did the trick? Installed the cab files into c:\windows\options\cabs, then began the Win98SE from there. This of course, has helped me in many ways. In safe mode, you can access the hard drive and do some extracting if needed, etc. As I've been shown, sometimes fdisk-ing a brand new HD is not always the best way to go.
Keep me posted. All-d-best!

[yingyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back