Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98se client 3.32 slow with Acucorp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2002
CA
We have an accounting system that uses Acucorp's windows runtime for the cobol system.

We had to switch to the microsoft client because the software was so slow to load with the Novell client on 98SE. On XP, the Novell client seemed fine.

We lost Novell print features so wonder if anyone had that problem and resolved it.

We had the same problem with our QAD applications, which included a UNC path in the shortcut. The program would take anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute or so just to start. This may or may not be the same issue you are encountering.

Our problem was solved by adjusting the settings on Explorer. Apparently, if you open My Computer icon, click on View, and look at "as Web Page". This should NOT be checked. You will then have to go to Folder Options , click on View, choose Like Current Folder.

This would explain why we had issues with the network Shortcut on some workstations but not others. Everybody sets their views up differently.

Since this only happens with the most recent versions of the W95/98 Netware client, it remains an issue for Novell. Now we at least have a workaround.

Hi Curler -

I'm unfamilar with your particular software, but I had one workstation that would take forever loading a program we use over the network. Other 98se machines (exact same PCs, hardware, configs, Client, etc...) would load fine, while this particular one always seemed to take a minute or so to open.

For some reason, the "AutoDetect" wasn't detectin' like it should of. In the Novell client properties, under advanced, I changed the frame type from "AutoDetect" to 802.3 (also called CSMA/CD). It appeared that the NIC & Client was always trying to assume the 802.2 (LLC) for its "AutoDetect" - which was causing the problem.

Good Luck.

Removing IPX from the protocol list in NwClient also cures a lot of "slowness" issues on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back