Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9800 pro problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bachinat0r

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
I tried posting this problem once before and no resolution came about and I thought I would try again b/c the problem is quite annoying.

First let me explain what any normal person should see in the display panel, under the options tab. under the settings tab there is a section for screen resolution. there is a slider bar with less on one side and more on the other. within that slider bar you should have a set number of hash marks indicating where you can put the slider. the number of hash marks should never change unless you get a new video card...right???

now my problem is a 2 cycle process. when i boot up my computer and go into the settings tab of the diplay properties. under the screen resolution section i would have 20 gray hash marks, and my monitor to look at would strain the eyes a little (probably just refresh rate)...if i restart my computer and go into the setting section of the display properties again, i would have only 6 hash marks in the screen resolution section...everytime i reboot my computer it just goes back a forth with these 2 setting...both of which say my resolution is the same. the only difference is the number of hash marks that are shown in the screen resolution section.

things i have tried to resolve the problem: reinstalling drivers, reinstalling monitor, using old ati drivers, using new ati drivers and using omega drivers.

the main reason that this bothers me so much is b/c i fear that this problem is slowing my card down. my brother has nearly the same pc specs that i do and his geforce 4200TI is playing games faster than my card.

here are my system specs:
Abit KX7333R
Athlon 2200+ fsb 266
1gb pc 2700 ram
2 WD 80gig 7200 rpm drives running in Raid 0
Hitech IceQ 9800pro 128mb

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!

If the MB has onboard video, then make sure that it's disabled either in BIOS or with a MB jumper.

If that's ok or not applicable and the 9800 replaced an older video card, then did you remove the old video card from Device Manager and uninstall its drivers before installing the 9800?

a few things to note. is your card a 128 bit card and probably your cpu is slowing you down. upgrading your cpu will give you better performance.

Thanks for the input! the mobo does not have onboard video. the graphics card did replace a geforce2 TI card (very much in need of upgrading). i did completely remove the old drivers. uninstalling from add remove programs, searching through the registry (removing all keys for nvidia/geforce, and using the 3rd party software "driver remover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back