Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98 workstation will not login to 2000 domain..... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

truined

Technical User
May 4, 2002
AU
This is a known problem by microsoft this I am sure of. The fix to this problem I am not so sure about.

98 workstation attempts to login to 2000 domain. Attempt rejected due to invalid password. Reboot 98 workstation. Logon succsessful.

Questions:

How do I fix this?

What Causes this?

No. I was under the impression there is a patch to fix this problem. Is the DSCLIENT the patch and I'm somewhat confused.

DSCLIENT enables 98 pc's to communicate to AD. There is a new version of this out. I had to talk to MS on the phone to get it. If you want I can email it to you or find a FTP to post it to. It did not work for me though. My 98 pc's kept losing connection to the server after lunch. Might help you with your log in problem though.

If you could email me the updated client that would be appreciated. Hopefully this will solve the login issue.

Cheers

jamie@ictservices.com.au

While I wait to try that is there any other reasons people can think that would cause a 98 client not to login?

Windows 98 by default will use for authentication LM (Lan Manager). In this case it needs to contact a PDC (windows 2000 PDC emulator).
With DS Client will use NTLMv2 authentication protocol. And the dependence of the PDC is just for changing password.
There is also another difference in the way the password is stored. So, sometimes just forcing the user to change password on the next logon can solve the problem.

Server has to be able to authenticate clients that are using various methods. By default a server is configured to accept all sort of authentications.
You can change this by changing in the GPO settings or via this regisrty key:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\LMCompatibilityLevel
0 (send LM & NTLM responses).
1 (Send LM & NTLM–use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated).
2 (Send NTLM response only).
3 (Send NTLMv2 response only).
4 (Send NTLMv2 response only\refuse LM).
5 (Send NTLMv2 response only\refuse LM & NTLM).

A summary:
1. check connectivity from your win98 the server. Check if you can "see" the server.
2. check authenticatio levels
3. INSTALL DS client!!!

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

I have found with Win 98 that if I enable WINS on the client and the server or put the Server IP, Domain and Computer name in LMHOSTS that sometimes works.

GlennA
MIS

I will try the DSCLIENT off the CD tomorrow. You'll be hearing from me again if it doesn't work ;P

Cheers guys :)

Sorry it took me so long to get it to you. Been off all weekend. Hope it helps.

I'm having similar issues... Wondering if the DSClient is the solution or not.

David

The updated version from MS solves this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back