Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98 machine can't access 2000 shared printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblack63

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2002
US
I have several classrooms with windows 2000 workstations that have HP Laserjet 1000 USB printers connected locally and shared. My windows 98 machines can see the 2000 machines, browse to them, install them (iinstalled the 98 driver on the 2000 machines), but, when you go to print, nothing happens. Can someone please help?

Thank you

I tried this briefly a while back, and the details are fuzzy, but you need to install the 98 drivers onto the print machine as well. When you go to share the printer, it askes you if you need other drivers installed, you need to say "yes" and install the windows 98 drivers. The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine....If computers worked I'd be unemployed!

Right click on the printer (on the windows 2000 machine) and choose SHARING. On the tab that comes up, there will be a button for ADDITIONAL DRIVERS. click that and follow along. The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine....If computers worked I'd be unemployed!

Thanks so much for taking the time to help. Unfortunately, I have already installed the drivers. The printer installs correctly to the 98 machine, everything looks fine, but it just won't print. No error messages, nothing.

could bi-directional printing be a problem? I am going to try that next.

thanks again.

If the 98 boxes use a username and password, you will need to be sure and add these accounts on the Windows 2000 box in control panel/Users and Passwords. That's what I had to do to get my 98 boxes to print...

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I have done this already. The 98 boxes still refuse to print. Any other ideas?

Presume printer do print locally - from win2k machines?

Can you print across network 2k to 2k?

Yes, 2K to 2K is OK and the printer is installed locally on the W2K machine

dblack63,

have you check you Print-Processor, in your Printer Properties, is it spooling RAW or NT EMF ?
We had a similar problem and since I change it to RAW,
Win9x and W2K can print.

hope this help,
have a nice day..........

kietn

Perhaps this will help. I have a W2K machine and numerous W98 machines at home, and although I could see the W2K shares, I couldn't see the printer from the W98's. I found a Microsoft "Q" (number forgotten) which said this was standard, and suggested manually entering the path in the "Port" window in the W98 printer properties, e.g.

\\MyServer\HPdeskjet

This works like a charm. The other consideration is to assure that you're using the printer's "Share" name, not the W2K printer name, an error I made initially.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back