Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98 freezes just after Windows login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Problem: when the Windows Login screen appears, I enter the password and press enter, and it just freezes (and never recovers). I tried clicking Cancel, and switching my network settings to use the Network logon, and the same thing always happens.

It started happening about 2 boot-ups after I installed IE6 (upgraded from IE5.5).

My instincts tell me to uninstall IE and see if that fixes the problem, and then reinstall IE5.5... but I figured I should ask the Experts first! Could this be an IE6 issue?

Your symptons are a little vague to make a concrete diagnosis; however, the simplest thing to try first would be to delete the *.pwl file for your logon (in c:\windows) to see if the password file is damaged. Does the PC boot up normally if you select "cancel" instead of logging on? Do you know that you are making a network connection when you try to logon? Perhaps some process is starting at the windows boot up that is causing it to hang--you can see what you are loading at start up by going to START, RUN, and then typing in:

msconfig <enter>

and seeing what is starting under the &quot;Startup&quot; tab. Take out everything that isn't absolutely necessary and reboot. If this works, add in items until you see what is causing the problem.

Have you tried safe mode? This would rule out the possibility that it's a network problem.

<Hit F8 at bootup to get the prompt for safe mode>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back