Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

98 boot disk from other machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

gggfff

Instructor
Mar 9, 2001
US
Will a boot disk from another win 98se machine jumpstart a machine with win 98 (non se)? I can only get into dos and I need to reload windows and was wondering if the files & settings from the other pc will have an effect on the pc I want to restore?

Thanks

Never tried it, but it's worth a shot Regards

Phil

Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful or a bus ride out. Without your feedback I won't know.

There should be no problem.

Can't you actually boot that machine to get to the settings/add programmes/startup disk to create your own?

Also, check the BIOS to see if it supports booting from CD and just place the Win98 CD in the tray and boot from it.

Regards.

No problem booting up with a later EBD. The problems always come using an earlier one.
You will probably (99.99%) have access to the CD for reload but I would suggest that you transfer the reload stuff to the HD and do the install from there. The install is cleaner and faster. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

No the individual computers settings aren't even on that disk, It's just a bootable disk with some dos utility files on it and most importantly, some files to run almost any cd-rom from the dos boot up. I use the win98se boot disk to restart everything, it's a good choice. You can make one by going to control panel/ add remove programs/ startup disk

Problem not fixed... Booted from boot disk & reloaded windows & says it must restart...HA LOL, windows starts and says it can't find a bunch of files, some are vmm, ios, etc. More details later. and then bounces me out & shuts down computer. I never get to desktop. What's the best way to start from scratch? It's possible a virus caused this. This is not my machine.

Thx

gggfff

Run fdisk from the boot floppy and delete the partitions. Reboot, run fdisk and repeat to create any partitions. May have to run format from the floppy. Reboot and let setup run from the CD.

I think that you're looking at a reinstall for this. Let's see if you can avoid it successfully! Regards

Phil

Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful or a bus ride out. Without your feedback I won't know.

Hi guys:, Thanks for the help. My client told me they tried to load NAV and thinks they had a virus because the dektop icons were moving randomly around. Looking at the Norton install it said any viruses should be removed. They dug the hole & I am getting them out.

FYI These are the file the pc is looking for.
vnetsup.vxd
ndis.vxd
ndis2sup.vxd
javasup.vxd
\windows\vmm32\ifsmgr
\windows\vmm32\10s.vxd
\windows\vmm32\enable.vxd
vnetbios.vxd
vredir.vxd
dfs.vxd
ndisman.vxd
msmouse.vxd

System say change autoexec.bat & congig.sys then gives insufficient memory & powers down.

Will try full fresh install but will avoid if possible.

Thanks

gggfff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back