Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9730 - Veritas Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjarrell

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2004
US
Storagetek 9730 with 2-Quantum DLT7000 drives, 30 slots, 10 Sony DLT7000 tapes with bar codes inserted, Veritas 9.1 backup software with latest update and driver update installed, Win2003 Server.

Everything has installed just fine. I can see the tape library, drives and slots in the BackupExec software. In the device view I can see that BackupExec can read the barcode information on all the tapes correctly.

However, every time I try to format a tape I get the following error:

"The job failed with the following error: Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library."

The robotic arm doesn't even move to check what type of "storage media" is in the library. I have unchecked "Use Barcode Rules" in accordance with the only tech document I could find on Veritas's site.

I have totally uninstalled and reinstalled everything from the ground up. The StorageTek unit seems to pass its own startup diagnostics just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? Is anyone successfully using a StorageTek 9730 with Veritas BackupExec 9.1?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Steve

Steve - my environment is different than yours, but I do know that STK only certifies their hardware using FujiFilm and Maxell media.

Followup...

At the suggestion of someone else on another forum, I tried removing the bar codes and then trying to format the tapes. This got past the invalid media warning and the robotic arm grabbed the tape, inserted it in the drive, the drive formatted it and released it, however when the robotic arm started to remove it I got a hardware error (something like "there's been a problem with the hardware scsi card, library, etc") and the library was taken offline by the Veritas software.

I just noticed that my SCSI card is the Adaptec 2944UW and not the 2944UW HVD. I'm almost certain this is an HVD library. Could this be the cause of the problem? Does anyone know what's the right Adaptec SCSI card?

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve!!
Yes, this will be an issue. From our previous conversations you do have an HVD library.

>>Hey Steve!!
Yes, this will be an issue. From our previous conversations you do have an HVD library.<<

Yep, that's how I finally caught it. I went back and re-read what you had sent me before, and then I double checked what I had ordered. I had just assumed that the 2944UW was an HVD and never thought that they had a 2944UW HVD till I checked their model numbers.

I have a HVD card coming in tomorrow so we'll see if that fixes it. I'll bet it will.

Well at least everyone will know what "weird stuff" happens when you use a 2944UW instead of a 2944UW HVD :) Seems like it can communicate, but just not real well.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it!!

Best regards,

Steve

I had looked on another site and had seen a 2944UW HVD listed and had erroneously concluded that there's a 2944 UW and a 2944UW HVD. After going back and re-reading the specs on the 2944UW, it is a HVD controller.

I've ordered another anyway as at this point I'm convinced I either have a bad controller card or there's something wrong with the library.

I'm trying to get a service tech from Storagetek to come out and check the unit out and re-certify it so I can get a service contract on it, but I'm still waiting for their sales department to call me back. Looks like it's time to get back on the phone :)

Thanks,

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back