Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9730 Power supply failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamx12

IS-IT--Management
May 5, 2004
US
I have a 9730 with just a single drive and last month the unit stopped working. The DLT drive still has power but the LCD was blank and the power supply fans were not running. So I replaced the power supply and now two weeks later it has shut down again with the same symptoms. I'm not if 9730 power supplies are just very sensitive to power levels, or I blew an internal fuse, or some breaker I need to reset.

Any ideas?

What was the library doing when it went down?
You may have some other part taking out power supplies...

I have no idea actually but I'm pretty sure no activity was in occuring since no tape was in the drive. The only reason I notice something was wrong because Veritas was just sitting there so I went and physically looked and the LCD panel was blank. Powered off the unit, powered on and the only noise was the tape drive calibrating and it's fan.

First check the input voltage to the library...Too high or low may be roasting power supplies. If input power looks good may want to consider replacing the entire unit. Used 9730's can be had for $750.00 or less.

I think you may be right about voltage. Ever since I moved the unit to a different outlet i've had issues and your the second person who has indicated that as a potential root cause.

What's the chance of the power supply being fixed cheaply or should I just go buy another used one for < $100?

If you can get a replacement for $100.00, I would go that route. Power supply repair is gonna top that price. If you have problems finding parts, let me know.
Best of luck!
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back