Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9710 Issues - Help Please 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

samurai123

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
US
Hello,

We are facing intermittent problems with this library.
Getting following FSC Can anyone tell more about them?

#3204 NONE 2 #3219 DRV-5 3
#3207 DRV-2 1 #309F REACH 3
#30D0 REACH 3 #30A2 REACH 3
#3205 DRV-2 6 #309D REACH 3
#3095 REACH 3 #3204 NONE 1
#30C4 REACH 94 #3207 DRV-5 1
#3104 NONE 3 #308D REACH 1
#30C7 REACH 3 #3217 DRV-0 2
#30B2 NONE 18 #3216 DRV-0 2
#3C87 NONE 9 #3108 NONE 4
#30B4 Z 2

We feel that the library has become un-stable. How to fix the issues and make it stable in operation ? We have 2010 firmware and DLT7000 drives with V106/OMX1 . In all, we have 8 DLT drives in it and PRS installed with Differnetial
with HP-UX 11.11

Feedbacks would be appretiated..
Waiting for reply

Thanks in Advance

If the errors are happening when using different drives then it looks like the hand is on its way out. Cleaning the gripper pads with Isopropyl alcohol might help. If that doesn't work and the 9710 is under STK maintenance then get them to fix it. If not then phone local TPM's to see if they do STK. The hand is p/n 310267904 or higher, and costs something like £250 second user.

These days we see FSC code
# 30C4 REACH 13

We understand that there could be obstrations in the mechanism path . So we did run drive load and unload test for all drives. We didn't find any problem.

We see tape alerts (1,2,15)in backup software ( data protector ). We found that these alerts are generated when the media is inside the drive ans software reads the alert flags from the library. Again this problem occurs intermittently. We are not sure if the cause of these alerts is drive , controller or media.
Does anyone know how the PRC communicates with drives , get those alerts flags etc?

We guess , if we know those flags then it could be easy to find out the cause of thoes alerts

YOu replies would me highly appreciated.

Thanks

It's been a while since the last post for this problem so I presume its fixed or gone away. If not, the text for 30C4 is:

30C4: "This error normally can be treated as a warning and can be expected if there are obstructions in the path of the mechanism. FRU replacement is generally not required unless many of these are logged during each move. If this occurred during CAP unlock operation check the CAP plunger for smooth operation".

Your question, how does the PRC talk to the drives. Drive status is reported to the PRC via a serial "octopus" cable that runs from the rear of the DLT's to a connecter on the top of the PRC card. (If you have more than six drives it runs from the PRC to the drives via a mux card).

If I was an engineer attending this call I would check the operation of the CAP, and Z/theta motors/belts. If the CAP latch is smooth and motors/belts smooth and not noisy/lumpy I would pick the DLT drive with most 30C4 occurences and run the mount/dismount diag from the operator panel on a loop watching for problems. If none found I would switch the two drives with most 30C4's with drives that have given no problems, and see over time if the problems follow the drives.
If yes then replace the drives, if no then replace hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back