Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

97' upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray720

MIS
Nov 6, 2001
US
I'm in the middle of an upgrade from Office 97' to 2000. I have aprox. 50 nodes. Of course the executives demand 2000 installed, on their machines, first, (all 98 SE).

since the upgrade I've notice a problem with Access 2000. When the new 2000 users access an Access 97' .mdb they get a permissions error and cannot open the database. I've researched the problem and found the solution being, exit all users from the 97' .mdb and then allow the 2000 users to enter. The 2000 users then have the choice of converting the .mdb to 2000 or open the 97' .mdb within 2000.

This is Great and supposed to be a one time procedure, but I've found that every time an Access 2000 user wants to view a 97'.mdb we must go through the whole ordeal.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thank you,
Murray

Well, sorry to say, there is no suggestions other than get everybody upgraded as quickly as possible. The ldb (locking database file) that access creates is exactly compatible between the versions. Your only other option would be to create a 2000 version of the database and have those users work on that copy. Sorry for the bad news

I no longer have any 97 users to ttest this on, but you may be able to create a 2000 version of the database, then replicate it. let the 200 users use one and the 97 users use the other. Access 2000 handles replication very well, however, I don't know how well 97 users can access a replicated adatabase.
A+, N+, MCP

Hi!

If your database is split FE/BE, you can make a 2K front end which will have no trouble linking to a 97 back end. If it isn't already split, you might consider breaking out the tables and just connecting from the front ends.

hth Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back