Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

96x1 phones not sounding as good as 9600 series phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjoeuser

Technical User
Jan 3, 2011
US
All,

I have a 6.2 install with two G450 gateways. We have 9641 phones that have poor sound quality. We have TDM trunks from two carries as well as SIP trunks. The call quality on the 9641 phones is poor with default 46xx text file. We see phase jitter at a constant 4-5 on the "li trace sta". I then plug in a 9640 phone and it is perfectly clean on the phase jitter and sounds great.

I plugged a 9641 into the LAN port of one of the gateways and still see 4-5 on the phase jitter.

Avaya came out while working with tier 3 & 4. They played extensively with the 46xx file and have improved the sound of the 9641 somewhat. They left with saying "its about the best we can do". (Ironically, i found them searching this site looking for help as well)

If we had to live with these settings I suppose we would. However, we still see the 4-5 phase jitter every 10 seconds on a li trace, whereas the 9640 is always zero's. They said I shouldn’t be alarmed by this.. (Huh??)

I have searched this and other sites looking for answers. I have seen other people with similar problems with 96x1 but have not found a solution. I'm hoping to open some dialog with this community to seek answers to this quandary. Thanks..

Joe

Mjoeuser,

We are having same issues with test 9611 sets even after applying the latest firmware. There is a thread that goes back to November of 2010 that chronicles the large number issues that have plagued this phone series and we are continuing to deploy 96xx sets for now.

what hardware version of phone set do you have? Ver 1 has problems, try to get version 2 hardware.

Yes, Ive seen that post. (So has Avaya). My goal is to try to try and find ways to resolve this issue or declare that the 96x1 phones just dont work and should NOT be used. I offer all comments on this thread as we are at a crossroads with this style of phone.

We too have used all updated files including Avaya's lated product notice patch dated at the end of march 2012. I offer Avaya to jump in on this thread and save the product or declare it a flop.
Joe

Tolson.. where do I find the hardware version. Im looking at one now and dont see anything about the HW version on the back of the phone. These are brand new and most are still in boxes. (I know that doesnt mean they are a later ver)
Joe

One more thing...under phone options I see where it says; One-X, "S6-2009

bug bug bug ...tier 3 request if you have ssu

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

at tier 4 now.. They seem to be scratching theirs heads..

tier 4 wowsers defo bug , stop selling ,installing,thinking about and even looking at the handsets until issue resolved, also it genraly helps if you whack the sales manager in the face with one to reinforce they dont work!! your choice though last thing i would advocate is violence!

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

gwebster. You are correct. the one I looked at was registered to my home office system which has older FW. However, the ones at site are using the latest which say S6.2023

FYI.. Starting to make headway with Avaya T4. Its been rough, but the fist step in recoverery is to first admit you have a problem... ;)

...Update, Avaya to release two new patches for this fix. To be out by weeks end. Look for these by the end of April.
J.

...I am going to make the statement to this community that it appears that Avaya is going back to the drawing board with the 96x1 chipset. This is being worked out at the highest Avaya levels. I will continue to update this post with the status of the voice quality problems and fixes for this phone type as it progresses. I believe Avaya will fix this issue. It will be a wonderful phone when they do.

Thanks,

Joe

Avaya has developed a set of firmware and provided it to the company I work for as a beta.

The firmware does resolve all of the audio quality and static issues we have had.

For those of you with problems .. hang in there for a few weeks and I'm sure this firmware will be GA.

- Miguel

A very wise and well respected man once told me "Shut Up!".

Just as an FYI Avaya has release SP4. If looking for it on the new support site select "I don't know" for release level.

The new firmware is the S6.2023. This is the firmware we have been testing in our environment.

It was developed specifically to resolve the voice issues and it has done so in all of our sites.

- Miguel

The S6.2023 does not work. Avaya sent a supposed fix, but dropped the db level to remove the problem. Manualy bringing the level back up brings the problem back up. They agreed. Back to the drawing board...

Our problems were all static and quality of voice related. This firmware has resolved both and done so very well in all locations we have deployed it.

Good luck with your issue Mj.

- Miguel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back