Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9630g Upgrade Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy80

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2004
GB
We are currently installing a IPO 500v2 with R8.0.18 and 9630G handsets. When connecting the handset to the network it does the following:
1. Phone Starts up and gets a DHCP address from the data network (Vlan 21 and the Windows DHCP server has the following scope option set Option 292=L2Q=1,L2QVLAN=29) and releases the address
2. Phone restarts on VLAN 29 and gets a DHCP address from the IPO 500.
3. Upgrade is completed
4. Phone restarts gets a DHCP address from the Data network. The phone displays DHCP 1,2 and shows VLAN 0

After this the phone does not connect to the IPO. It sits in a continues loop. If we go into the settings of the phone and for the phone onto vlan 29 it connects to the IPO and all is fine. We can then remove the vlan tag and set it back to 0 and the phone continues to work.

Some further details:
The 9630g handset was on ha96xxr3_171bS.bin and upgrades to hb96xxua3_11.bin. The network switches used are Cisco 2960 and the config of one the phone port is:
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
switchport access vlan 21
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 29
spanning-tree portfast

Has anyone seen a problem like this before or have any ideas what could be causing the issue. I don't really want to have to switch the config on all of the handsets from vlan 0 > 29 and then back again.

Regards
James

is that a typo because ytoure dhcp string should be option 242 not 249??

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

@montyzummer yes that was a typo. :)

@mattKnight Thank you for your pointer to the document from Avaya. However the document talks about 3.11 to 3.17 however the phones were already on 3.17 and it looks like we are trying to downgrade them rather than upgrade them. Would you agree?

PSN said:
This patch is not backward compatible. Do not downgrade a 3.171b phone to 3.1 or 3.1-based firmware, otherwise the issue described in this PSN will re-occur.

I'd reckon that covers it...

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

we have seen this a lot on the 9620's and the patch fixes it right away normally.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

This has solved the problem thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back